Problems with B6 Tools installation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by SFrawley, Apr 30, 2006.

1. SFrawley

SFrawley Member

After installing Beta 6, I attempted to update the Tools and it asked for multiple files I didn't have available. I have Windows 2000 updated to SP 4 and don't have a SP 4 disk, just an update file. I have my Windows 200o disk but can't access it whhile installing the Tools.

Now my keyboard is not functional, I can't access network machines I could with Beta 5 and my system is basically unusable.

Where do I go from here? Beta 5 asked for files from the Win2k SP4 disk I couldn't access and I got by but now the machine is much worse, especially without keyboard functionality and network access. These all worked fine with Beta 5.

2. RickMaddy

RickMaddy Member

Strange. I've had Windows 2000 SP4 running since beta 2 or 3 and I'm now running beta 6hf (hot fix). In all that time I've never had to or been asked to insert a Windows disk of any kind.

Try creating a new VM and do a fresh install of Windows 2000.

Better yet, have you tried uninstalling Parallels Tools then reinstalling them cleanly? You uninstall by clicking on the "Install Parallels Tools" menu. If they are fully installed it will uninstall. Of course with no keyboard it may be hard to do.

3. SFrawley

SFrawley Member

Keyboard OK still no networking

I got the keyboard running by installing SP 4 again but still no networking, which was working just fine thru Beta 5.

If the solution is reinstalling Windows 200 every time I install a new beta, I'm OUTA HERE. I think things are going backwards fast!

I uninstalled Tools and reinstalled - no good. I tried reinstalling Beta 5 - no good. I spent hours trying to learn things I don't even want to know about Windows ever. It asks for disks when Tools prevents mounting disks.

Tools installation is screwed up for some installationss. It can't find the drivers it wants to install and asks me to insert disks it won't recognize whiles tools are installing. I don't know how to extract files from the SP4 file and shouldn't have to learn command line crap to install this.

Windows 2000 Pro should be supported without major brain damage.I can't even access my MacBook, let alone print or see the network, but internet access works?!?

4. alantruly

alantruly Bit poster

B6 Tools Install hangs at end with Win98

When it requests a restart and I click to restart, the installer doesn't restart. Installer window disappears but shows in the task bar. Clicking it doesn't do anything. When I manually restart, new hardware is found, a PCI Bridge, but it can't find the driver on Windows98 CD, Parallels Tools CD or Windows Update. After exiting the new hardware wizard, I get an error message:

Error Starting Program
    The PARALLELSTOOLSCENTER.EXE file is linked to missing export SHELL32.DLL:SHGetFolderPathA

I've tried reinstalling Tools, but keep getting the same results. Everything I normally use seems to be working okay. There are some features that don't work, but this might be because I am using Windows 98:

1. Sound (can't find a driver)
    2. Shared folder (not compatible with guest OS)
    3. Custom resolutions (I can set them in the VM editor, but they don't show up in Windows)

Thanks for the ongoing work.

5. bigethan

bigethan Bit poster

win98 Tools Problems

I have duplicated the situation above. The HD and config file are in Documents/parallels, and I'm using the 'fixed' size hd. Win98SE

6. bigethan

bigethan Bit poster

7. alantruly

alantruly Bit poster

Thank you BigEthan! Your sound fix worked.