Parallels Tools taking forever to install

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Ken1, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Ken1

Ken1 Member

This is not a new issue but I just downloaded the latest update to PD 7 for OS X and installed it.

About 1/2 an hour ago after the update, I started up my WinXP VM and it automatically started the Tools install.

Well, now it is stuck at 40%.

The same thing happened when I installed the previous update. I think I kicked it by restrating and reinstalling Tools.

This is so basic - What is going on?

This is a 3 yr old MBP with an up-to-date Snow Leopard OS 4GB RAM.

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

3. Ken1

Ken1 Member

Yabut... 1/2 hour stuck at 40%? I think it is stalled, as in there's a bug. So, I 'stopped' the VM, restarted and then reinstalled Tools in about 10-15 minutes. Beyond me what it could possibly be doing for 15 minutes.

4. LawrenceG2012

LawrenceG2012 Bit poster

Quitting Windows apps helps

I had no other apps open, but did close DropBox, Steam, and anything else I could in the lower-right hand window bar. As soon as I closed those, the installation zipped right along.

5. spike13

spike13 Junior Member

I didn't think I had that much installed or running on my guest OS. But it was stuck at 40%, so I went into task manager and ended most of the administrator processes that were running in the background. This did the trick and once I ended most of those the tools install went from stuck at 40% to completion in a few minutes.

6. YanaYana

YanaYana

Right- Dropbox actually may affect the installation - we used to have KB about this but i failed to find it now.

7. Benamir

Benamir Bit poster

Just a bad piece of software

This software a long with a Windows OS looks like a cancer on my MAC. Just a ton of frustration from the very first moment you start the program. It takes an hour for an update.

8. YanaYana

YanaYana

I'm afraid PTools installation may take a while as any other driver package installation. Drivers there are core tools to run Windows on Mac smoothly and they perform a lot of functions - so it is obvious that sometimes some background software or anti viruses or OS corruption may cause issues installing Parallels Tools. I as very sorry you experience issues time to time - i suggest you to contact tech support and ask them to investigate your system and find out what might be the reason for those issues to appear.