Best configuration for Windows 8 on MBP Retina

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by StuartLondon, Aug 2, 2012.

1. StuartLondon

StuartLondon Bit poster

Hi,

I've got the latest evaluation build of Windows 8 running in parallels on my MBP Retina display. OS X has a "looks like" display setting of 1680 x 1050 and in Windows I also have it set at 1680 x 1050. However Windows really doesn't look very good (grainy / pixilated). I'm wondering whether anyone has any better suggestions for display config?

I've been playing around with various different resolution and magnifier settings within Windows, but I haven't found any setting that's particularly pleasing.

What are your experiences?

Thanks,
    Stuart

2. JoachimW

JoachimW Junior Member

Parallels does not yet support the Retina mode, but Windows can still be made to make use of it.

This will most likely be fixed. Unfortunately, Parallels claims retina support in the current version. No other software vendors makes that claim although they also "enjoy" the exact same default pixel doubling. This makes Parallels somewhat "unique" in their market communication.

3. JoachimW

JoachimW Junior Member

The way you get Windows to take full advantage of the Retina screen is to download FreeRez or SetResX. Choose the 2880 x 1800 resolution.

In Windows, right click on the desktop, choose "screen resolution". Make sure that Windows is also using 2880 x 1800. Then choose "make text and other items larger or smaller" and choose either 150% or 200%.

If you can live with a somewhat blurry solution, set your Macs retina mode to "looks like 1920 x 1200". This might strain your eyes as things becomes smaller on the Mac and blurry on Windows, but at least your pain is evened out if you tend to switch between OSX and Windows a lot.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012