Parallels 6 not working under 10.8

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by EdP, Jul 25, 2012.

1. EdP

EdP Bit poster

I installed Mountain Lion today and parallels 6 won't even launch. Can we expect an update or is Parallels 6 no longer supported?

2. ApolloX

ApolloX Junior Member

3. RobertNe

RobertNe Bit poster

This has left a very bad taste in my mouth especally when there are many FREE applications out there that do VM support. This update should be FREE to all users. There is no major differences in how the OS is constructed and should work just fine with previous versions. I will NOT upgrade or buy another parallels product again. I have heard of people getting free upgrades, but I have yet to be approached or even offered an upgrade. There was nothing wrong with parallels 6.0 and feel there is no need to upgrade. Especially now. Parallels lost themselves many customers! Screw your 50 bucks, for a 20 dollar OS upgrade. Go to hell!

4. SuperRichard

SuperRichard Bit poster

Another customer lost. Parallels is ridiculous. I'd rather pay more one time for a product with real support than sell out to this robbery. $50 to make it work with 10.8? Ubuntu 12.04 won't even work unless I shell out more $$! Really?

This company must not have faith in the superiority of their product if they feel they must extort their customers. I used to recommend this product, and now I have to go apologizing to friends and colleagues.

5. Joshisagoodman

Joshisagoodman Bit poster

Buyer beware..

Boohoo - so you had no issue forking over $20 to Apple to upgrade to ML.

Before any major OS X upgrade, you need to check the application compatibility. Buyer beware; that's not Parallels' fault.

6. SuperRichard

SuperRichard Bit poster

Yeah, actually it is. Check the link above before you type. More over, I haven't upgraded to ML, I'm still on Lion. The problem is that Parallels is witholding support for guest OS's like Ubuntu unless I pay them more money. You know who doesn't do that? VMWare.

7. RonSchn

RonSchn Member

Do you think the support of new OS's does not require any work? Do you think Parallels employees work for free? Do you actually work for free?
    So why do you want them to implement new stuff for free?

8. SuperRichard

SuperRichard Bit poster

Funny how Parallels is the only software I use that costs $40 per year to support new operating systems. They're also the only company I know of that doesn't offer upgrade prices to existing customers.

Should it be free? No one is saying that, you're just being irrational. But forcing your customers to spend another $40 to support the latest version of an open source operating system is robbery. My version of VMWare Fusion 3 still works with W7 and Precise Penguin.

9. Joshisagoodman

Joshisagoodman Bit poster

Good for you - sounds like you have a solution - stick with VMware and stop complaining.

10. SuperRichard

SuperRichard Bit poster

You know what blows my mind about people like you? Companies normally pay out the ass to find out how their customers respond to their products and pricing. Yet I give it out for free and you think I need to stop? Why? Because you have nothing better to do that read the Parallels forum and you don't want to be bothered? In less than 5 minutes of typing total, I've given Parallels my view, my reasoning, and now responded to one stupid, pointless comment.

11. RonSchn

RonSchn Member

That's wrong. The upgrade price IS 40$ or something similar. I think it is fair to charge 40$ for developers work (not talking about Ubuntu only). Do you even have a clue how expensive software developers are?

12. SuperRichard

SuperRichard Bit poster

My mistake, you're right. There is an upgrade price (limited time only), and it's $50. And yes, I have a clue. How might I? Figure it out, Sherlock.

I take it you are either refusing to or incapable of reading the link supplied above. It's all well and good to blame the consumer for jumping in with an expensive product, but that argument only works if the consumer has access to enough information to make a rational choice with. And yes, $50 per year is certainly asking for too much, especially when they intentionally break functionality to get it from you.

I'm done with this shit. Have fun mindlessly throwing your money away.

13. cmwade77

cmwade77 Bit poster

$50 is more that what the software should cost initially and honestly when it comes time for another upgrade, I will most likely be looking elsewhere unless the upgrade price is a lot lower than $50. I would say about $10 would be good, given that Apple is giving an entire OS upgrade for $20 and Microsoft will not be much more than that for Windows 8.

Add to this the fact that these licenses are being used for business and you can easily see how it would be hard for me to get approval for upgrading at $50 a seat when entire operating system upgrades are less than that now.

14. fred11

fred11 Bit poster

In past 3 years, I've bought parallels 4, 5, and currently at 6. Now with 10.8, I'm forced to shell out another $50 to upgrade to 7..... No thanks. I'm downloading VM works 30-day trial to see how it works.

15. ZariefM

ZariefM Bit poster

Is it worth to pay $50 more for a $20 OS upgrade?.
    I will not be purchasing a Parallels product ever again. There are plenty of alternatives, such as VMware and VirtualBox, which I would rather use.

16. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Just the facts:
    VMWare upgrades cost the same as Parallels, and the support for old versions lasts about the same (~2 years). But yes, VirtualBox is free albeit it doesn't achieve the same results in benchmarks, so if performance, specially 3D performance is not important to you, yeah, sure, VBox is a great alternative.

I just don't see what VMWare has to give in this subject, version 3 of Fusion also doesn't work under ML, version 4 only if it's the latest build, a only version 5 is fully supported. Pretty much the same situation as with versions 6, 7 and 8 of Parallels Desktop.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2032208

If you don't agree with this product life cycle support policy in Parallels then be aware if you intend to buy VMWare Fusion you'll be getting exactly the same 2 years support policy (counting from the time the version is launched not for when you buy it).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013