1. Comatose

Comatose Bit poster

Glad to see I'm not the only one continually disappointed by this. I reported so many bugs with Spaces/Coherence mode with 7 that it seemed neither feature had actually been tested with Parallels. Every other app "just works" with spaces, but I assume Parallels is actively doing something to always end up starting all VMs on desktop 1. Very serious pain for those of us using spaces, although apparently we're in the minority (or it'll be fixed in a paid upgrade to v8). Love the product, but the support is seriously lacking :(

2. Expalmi

Expalmi Bit poster

You are not alone, for me it is necessary feature and I do not understand that it is fixed but no released, why?

3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. Another Parallels 7 update was released yesterday or today. Guess what! It still doesn't have the SPACES fix.

5. typ993

typ993 Junior Member

Haha, Parallels posted this at the end of January. What a bunch of incompetent fools. FYI Parallels, don't make such statements unless you're willing to back them up with results.

6. Pablo Rojo

Pablo Rojo Bit poster

Thus spake YanaYana - It works!?

Well, after upgrading yesterday, it seemed as if nothing had changed- the virtual machine kept flopping over to Space 1 for the first several vm restarts. Today, it is holding the 'current' space! And, afaik, I didn't do anything that would affect the space assignment in the interim, nothing in ||'s prefs, nothing in system prefs. I don't really get it, but all's well that ends well...

7. brvno

brvno Bit poster

possible workaround for somebody is: right click on VM in VM list and "Start". VM is opened on active space.

8. DetlefSc

DetlefSc Bit poster

No more patience to wait

Because of the lack of support / responsiveness with this particular issue I have just decided to switch to competition VMWare. Already purchased and currently downloading.

So long, Parallels...

9. thanar

thanar Member

Maybe they are waiting for parallels desktop 8 to be released in order to fix this BUG! That's what they did with a couple of other BUGS I had reported through their bug-report system; I reported them back when I was using 6, but the fix was released under 7, so I had to pay in order to get rid of the bugs!

I just LOVED the way I could cntrl-2 to my Parallels VM under PD6, now I have to point to the dock or bring up mission control in order to get to the VM... Bummer!

10. typ993

typ993 Junior Member

This bug has been fixed. See this post:

Open your Parallels application in Desktop Two.
    Open your Guest OS - It should default to Desktop 1.
    Move the Guest OS to Desktop 2.
    Close The Guest OS on Desktop 2.
    Close the Parallels application.

Open the Parallels Application and then open the Guest OS. It will now default to the Desktop in which it was last opened and/or closed.

11. tomorrow

tomorrow Bit poster

Its back! :(

This bug seems to be back in the latest version.

I'm running Parallels 7.0.15104.778994 on a fresh OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion install and the VM doesn't remember the assigned desktop space and always defaults to desktop 1 when launched.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  12. tomorrow

tomorrow Bit poster

Does anyone care?

13. brvno

brvno Bit poster

OS X 10.7.4, Build 7.0.15104, Revision 778994, and after last update this problem disappear.

14. tomorrow

tomorrow Bit poster

Well, I'm running the latest version of Parallels on OS X Mountain Lion and it doesn't remember the assigned desktop space. Always defaults to desktop 1. So i guess its a Mountain Lion specific bug.

15. Kj_daly

Kj_daly Bit poster

This bug existed for a (MUCH TOO) long time in earlier P7 releases. I updated to Mountain Lion and the P7 release that supports it (Build 7.0.15104 Revision 778994; July 10, 2012) and the BUG IS BACK. VM Windows always open in Space 1 even though they were moved and assigned to a different space.

This is incredibly annoying, VMWARE does not (nor has it ever) had this to my knowledge. And the last time it took Parallels MONTHS to fix this. If that happens again I'm moving to VMWare fusion. Parallels needs to do better!

16. YanaYana

YanaYana

Guys can you please update to the next build after 150104 and let me know if this issue is still there?

17. tomorrow

tomorrow Bit poster

Just updated to 7.0.15106.786747 and this stupid bug is still very much alive.

18. Plungestep

Plungestep Bit poster

I'm also frustrated after upgrading to Parallels 7. I use Windows 7 in full screen, and it would previously assign to "desktop 1" just fine. I would then press "Command - 1" or "Command - 2" to switch spaces. Parallels worked fine in desktop 1. Now, with Parallels 7, it a full screen mode takes up its own space, and I cannot use a keyboard shortcut to switch to my Windows 7 OS. I have to click on the Parallels icon in my dock each time I want to switch. This is incredibly annoying!

19. Kj_daly

Kj_daly Bit poster

Same result here. Upgraded. Parallels itself opens in the space assigned but the VM window opens in space 1. Same behavior as before.

20. TheAngryPenguin

TheAngryPenguin Member

Just updated to Build 7.0.15106 (Revision 786747; August 3, 2012) and the bug persists with a clean Mountain Lion install.