Linux tools? Anyone try them yet?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by soleblaze, Jun 7, 2007.

1. soleblaze

soleblaze Bit poster

I noticed one of the features of 3.0 is linus parallels tools. Has anyone here tried this and if so, how well does it work and what features does it give?

Also, has anyone tried a wifi usb dongle with linux running in parallels 3.0? with 2.5 it would crash the IRQ that was assigned to it.

2. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

Well, I'm at work now and my VMs are all at work, but first thing tomorrow I'll be looking into this. I'll report back as soon as I know.

=)

3. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

I am trying to install it on FC 6 but when I run parallels-tools.run I got permission denied error. I got that even I log in as root. Haven't figure out why yet. Anyone has any luck?

4. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

1. Linux Tools do not automatically install like in Windows. You just get a CD with two files. An installer and an Uninstall shell script.

2. The Installer is a .run file, and opens in a text editor, then the editor fails to read it. If I run it in the terminal it says I have no permission, even if I run it as root. There is something up with it I think. This is Ubuntu 7.04, which is running beautiful, but the tools are a bit lacking in feature.

EDIT: Ha, beat me to it. I gave in and installed on my home computer for tonight.

5. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

UGH. Sorry. RTFM Error.

From the manual:

Works Beautifully!!!!!

6. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

John,

Thank you for pointing this out. I did everything right except I forgot putting sh in front of parallels-tools.run. My bad. Now it works great in FC6.

7. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

I'm not used to having to put sh in front of shell scripts. It was driving me crazy. Still a Linux n00b here.

Still, hopefully by pointing it out we can prevent it from happening to others...

... not likely though. ;)

8. whtrabit

whtrabit Bit poster

Change the directory to the CD-ROM and run the installer by the command:
    sh parallels-tools.run

How do you change the directory?? Linux n00b also. Ubuntu 7.04

9. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

Type cd and then drag the CD icon into the terminal. It will fill in the path to the CD folder. (FYI: cd stands for change directory, not compact disc.)

Then you can type the command.

10. whtrabit

whtrabit Bit poster

Ok I will try that. I was going to make a new Ubuntu VM to see if the install was any betterthan it was under 2.5. Thank you for the quick reply.

11. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

It goes wacky during the loading process, but if you wait it out it's fine.

12. whtrabit

whtrabit Bit poster

Once I FINALLY got the correct CD-ROM (don't ask) icon dragged to the terminal and entered sudo sh..... it all went well and install actually took 3 -4 seconds. I am having trouble though when I shut down Ubuntu--the graphics just get white and grainy and the VM never seems like it shuts down.

13. The Cardinal

The Cardinal Junior Member

Completely lost

I am a complete novice on Linux and I have, in fact, installed it so that I can learn about it.

When I open the terminal, type CD and drag the cd icon over, then press enter, I receive a message telling me that no such file or directory exists and the file browser window is opened.

Can anybody please tell me what I am doing wrong.

14. surfous

surfous Bit poster

Dragging the Parallels Tool CD icon to the terminal does *not* work in Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty). Here is what I did to install the tools on that VM platform:
    $ cd /media/cdrom
    $ sudo sh ./parallels-tools.run

Dragging the Parallels Tools icon inserts the full URL represented by that icon which is: x-nautilus-desktop:///CD-ROM%2FDVD-ROM%20Drive.volume under Ubuntu 7.04's Gnome (default) desktop, and the cd command doesn't like that.

15. The Cardinal

The Cardinal Junior Member

Root

How do you get to the root directory?

16. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

That's the "It's OK to shut down" window that gets distorted by Parallels. Just press the Stop button and all is well.

I had that happen too. But I did get the drag to work in Feisty Fawn 7.04. I think I did it right before the volume may have mounted, while it was still cdrom in the computer window under the Places menu. I can't replicate it now.

How odd. cd /media/cdrom is more consistent anyway.

You mean, install it as root? root is a user, as well as a location on your drive. To get to the root, type CD / in a Terminal. But I don't think that's what you mean.

su root will work. But you should probably change the root password first to something else. Go to the System menu, Administration, and then Users and Groups. Enter your user password and then double-click root. Replace the bullets with a password you'll remember.

17. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

Not uncommon if its a "self-extracting" type file - otherwise you have to set the execute permission on the file first, and the file has to have the path-to-the-sh-binary embedded (although /bin/sh is pretty ubiquitous).

The "issue" with Linux is that there is no exact equivalent of the windows installer** or Mac bundles - each distribution comes with its own "friendly" package management system based around repositories of open source software tailored for that distro and maintained by the distributor or the community. Installing "generic" software is perfectly possible but usually assumes you're not a total n00b.

The $64,000 dollar question is whether Parallels plans to make the Linux tools freely distributable so that the popular distributions can "adopt" and integrate them. This doesn't necessarily mean open-sourcing everything (although that would be the best and most laudible solution) - although its a bit frowned upon, most distros have coping strategies for dealing with partially-closed stuff like 3D drivers or wireless firmware.

** OK, .rpm and .deb packages are semi-portable but for the non-techie nothing beats having the software adopted by the distro. There's also "autopackage" which is more like a windows setup.exe although you still have to jump through a few hoops the first time you use it. That hasn't caught on much, either.

18. mike3k

mike3k Member

It works beautifully with Ubuntu 7.04. I converted my Linux VM from VMware and it worked perfectly, even though Transporter said there was no bootable OS on the virtual drive. I'm very happy with 3.0 - running Linux no longer sucks. I had switched to VMware Fusion due to the lack of Linux tools, but I'm now back with Parallels.

19. Paul Hoffman

Paul Hoffman Bit poster

Unmount your CD-ROM first

I tried and tried to install the tools under Ubuntu 7.04 but I couldn't even get the virtual CD to mount. I had the original Ubuntu CD mounted, and Parallels was failing to mount the second CD but wasn't reporting an error (doh!). Once I unmounted the Ubuntu CD and tried again it worked fine.

20. chuwy

chuwy Junior Member

What features do the linux tools enable? For example, i wouldnt be surprised if coherence wasnt part of the linux tools package, what gets enabled in linux by adding the tools?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007