7.0.15106 still does not properly support retina

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mokspok, Aug 4, 2012.

1. mokspok

mokspok Bit poster

Just upgraded to this latest release, and STILL does not properly support the display formats on Macbook Retina. Every time I try to adjust the resolution in Windows, it downsizes even further and will not accept the selected resolution. Kinda bumming me out. Whats up with this Parallels team?!!

2. mmm201

mmm201 Member

Make a new thread every build about Retina
    ???
    Profit

3. mokspok

mokspok Bit poster

yup until it is fixed.

4. AakashG

AakashG Bit poster

Windows 7 still looks aweful

15106 has still not fixed the retina issue. Not sure why this is so hard for Parallels??

Windows 7 still looks terrible. PLEASE FIX THIS SOON

5. cmwade77

cmwade77 Bit poster

First off, Windows 7 is not designed for a Retina display, even in boot camp, it looks poor by comparison because the graphics just aren't there to support it.

That being said, I was able to install Windows 7 (Boot Camp Partition) on a retina machine with Parallels and it looked no worse than on other systems. Please note that you will need to adjust your DPI settings and not just your resolution to make text large enough to read. But this is an issue with Windows 7, not Parallels.

6. JoachimW

JoachimW Junior Member

This is not true. Microsoft Introduced their retained mode graphics engine a long time ago. In fact, as far back as 2006, a WPF (Avalon) based Windows application displayed in over 200 dpi with screens such as the IBM's T220 at a native resolution of 3840×2400 pixels (at around $9000 per monitor).

As a graphics programmer professional, I can assure you that Windows 7 delivers all the power of the retina display today. The glyph (and other graphics) rendering in Windows (WPF and Windows RT) has even higher DPI capabilities than the OSX retina implementation. To say Windows on Retina hardware does not work, has less sharpness/resolution/DPI or other "retina qualities" than OSX is uninformed and plain wrong.

The problem is that you have to run boot camp. If you use Parallels, you need to set OSX to render in native 2880 x 1800 resolution, making Windows look great but OSX text be to small. If you use the default Apple retina settings, OSX looks great but Windows resorts to the fall back pixel doubling that Apple has provided to support non retina capable software implementation.s

7. petemill

petemill Junior Member

PR Klout - tell the tech news outlets

When Parallels announced they supported HiDPI (read: Retina) resolutions, and lied about it, they received a lot of klout from major tech news outlets (Verge, Engadget, etc). Those journalists obviously took Parallels word for it and didn't test their claim - and why not: why doubt a vendor's claim like that?

I suggest we contact those news outlets and let them know about this, linking them to this thread, and the following similar threads, telling them about Parallels' lie and your disappointment:
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=261113 (this is the biggest thread on the topic)
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=260578

News outlets you can contact about this issue:
    http://www.theverge.com/tip-us relating to this story: http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/11/3152271/parallels-os-x-macbook-pro-retina-display-support-update
    CNET (press@cnet.com) relating to this story:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57470587-263/parallels-update-brings-retina-display-support/

...feel free to post any other high profile news articles you've found announcing retina support in Parallels Desktop...

8. petemill

petemill Junior Member

9. danieltharris

danieltharris Member

I really hope they do sort it soon, I need to use Windows a lot, but one of the reasons for getting the MBPr with 16GB Ram was to have enough grunt to run both Windows and Mac OS at the same time.

Rather than having to go into Boot Camp for a native boot into Windows to get a proper experience.

I think Parallels works really well. I have used VM Ware a lot, and still do in work to run a Windows VM inside Windows.

I've been getting great performance so far in both Windows and Mac OS when running them side by side, no noticeable performance issues, just the visuals in window...look terrible as described.

Good to know they are working on it though.

10. danieltharris

danieltharris Member

Is there a list anywhere with the change log and current build number? Would like to keep an eye on it for any new releases that may solve the issue.

Windows 8 is available today via MSDN, but may have to install it as a Boot Camp partition to get a decent experience. Something i'd prefer not to do if I can avoid it. I like having the single partition, my drive is only 256GB in size anyway.