Parallels 7.0.15104 breaks Shared Folders on Lion 10.7.4

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JimboG, Jul 12, 2012.

1. JimboG

JimboG Bit poster

Hi all,

Just a quick note that when I updated to the latest Parallels build 15104 I found that I no longer had access to Shared Folders from my host (also OSX Lion 10.7.4).

The Console was reporting errors with Parallels' FUSE module - invalid parameter PARALLELS_ADDITIONAL_ARGS. To fix this, I modified the relevant plist to remove the offending entry (breakage in the Parallels Tools installer?). Details below:

Open terminal (or use your favorite editor):

cd /Library/LaunchDaemons
    sudo cp com.parallels.vm.prl_fsd.plist com.parallels.vm.prl_fsd.plist.orig
    sudo vi com.parallels.vm.prl_fsd.plist

when editing the file remove the (fairly obvious) offending line - remove:
    <string>PARALLELS_ADDITIONAL_ARGS</string>

I hope that helps someone else...

Cheers!

Update: Should have added - restart the VM after saving the plist (or you could probably unload and reload the plist from launchd if you know how)
    Update 2: Should have mentioned that the steps above are to be performed in the Guest VM, not the host.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. gnepnaur

gnepnaur Bit poster

This is useful to me.Thank you very much!

3. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

4. pchandra

pchandra Junior Member

Awesome, thanks for the tip.

5. pchandra

pchandra Junior Member

Actually, while the folders are mapped, they only seem to be accessible for a short period of time after the VM is rebooted, after which I get "permission denied" errors. They don't even show up in the Finder at this point. Anyone else seeing this? It's only a problem in Mac OS VMs; I'm seeing it in both 10.7 and 10.8 VMs, but not in my Linux or Windows VMs.

6. gkratkin

gkratkin Member

Thanks, very helpful.

7. JimboG

JimboG Bit poster

Hi pchandra,

I occasionally see this too, though it is easily fixed:

In Terminal.app:

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.parallels.vm.prl_fsd.plist

then

sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.parallels.vm.prl_fsd.plist

And your Shared Folders should return.

Cheers!

8. pchandra

pchandra Junior Member

Thanks JimboG. I tried your first suggestion on a VM that never was able to display the shared folders, and it did the trick. I haven't been able to try the second suggestion to get them to reappear after disappearing yet. In my use case, I'm in a terminal window, building software from that shared folder, and when I lose access to the shared folders, the whole Terminal.app becomes unresponsive.

9. JimboG

JimboG Bit poster

Hi pchandra,

What you say seems about right. If you are in the shared folders at the time they "go away" then there would be file handles and all sorts of thing open that are now invalid; I'm not surprised that Terminal hangs.

Firstly, can you open a new Terminal window? If not, use Activity Monitor from the Utilities folder and then find Terminal.app and Force Quit it. You should then be able to open a new Terminal.

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

10. FusRoDuh

FusRoDuh Bit poster

That worked like a charm. Thanks so much!