Issues with Mountain Lion and Coherence

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tuwood, Jul 30, 2012.

1. tuwood

tuwood Bit poster

I upgraded to Mountain Lion last week and since then my PD7 has been acting weird.
    I've got Windows 7 running in PD and have used it without issues for close to a year.
    Since the Mountain Lion upgrade when I run any Windows App in Coherence and hover the mouse over the window the mouse blinks constantly (like a strobe light) between the mac mouse cursor and the windows mouse cursor.
    Also, when I try typing into any windows app i get the mac error noise constantly while I'm typing. Seems to occur every 3 or 4 key presses. The text types fine into the app, but I continue to get the error noises as I'm typing.

Also, if I have a coherence window open on a virtual desktop my mac keyboard shortcuts seem to get cut off. For example if I het Cmd+Space to bring up spotlight it disappears as fast as it shows up, making it unusable.

My not so expert opinion is that it seems like PD is fighting with the Mac for keyboard/mouse control when its running in coherence mode since the upgrade.

2. MACHEN05

MACHEN05 Bit poster

I am having the EXACT same issues and can't figure out any way around it. Parallels even acts funky when it's out of coherence mode. I am going to try contacting parallels directly.

3. strells

strells Product Expert

You should try reinstalling Parallels Tools in the VM.

Steve

4. MACHEN05

MACHEN05 Bit poster

Thanks for the heads up but unfortunately that didn't work either. I am currently on hold waiting for a parallels technician. I will let you know how that turns out....

5. tawman

tawman Bit poster

Mach, move your Coherence apps windows over to Desktop 1 and the cursor and keyboard beeps should end. This is the only work around I found w/ PD7 following the Mountain Lion upgrade.

6. iFireman

iFireman Bit poster

I have the EXACT same issues, when running VM apps on desktop 2, 3 etc. But everything behave normal on desktop 1.

7. MACHEN05

MACHEN05 Bit poster

Thanks for the advice on using desktop one but unfortunately it is still not functioning adequately. The mouse cursor is still flickering. I decided to exit coherence mode and to just run the windows environment full screen until I find an issue that works on my mac.

8. RufoR

RufoR Bit poster

Same issue

Help!!! I'm experiencing the same issue..

9. ekimneems

ekimneems Junior Member

Same here for me. For now, I am just running Parallels in full screen mode in a specific desktop.

10. AshJack

AshJack Bit poster

Hi I have a very similar problem: I cannot click half the components of dialogue boxes when in coherence (the Yes/No, Okay/Cancel buttons for example) and also cannot click into some areas of applications when a tool-tip is displayed.

As with the commenters above, I am working around this by ensuring everything is on desktop 1.

11. fella5

fella5 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue (Parallels 7 & Lion)... Noticed on Windows 7 VM that I can't switch windows (real slow or I have to click on the application multiple times. Also when I have an mac application in full screen, I can't click on the Windws 7 start menu or taskbar, which I was able to prior to the upgrade to Lion. I just decided to exit Coherence for now.

12. mdavidpackard

mdavidpackard Bit poster

Same here

Experiencing the same issues. Hope Parallels is listening in!

13. Nicholas Block

Nicholas Block Bit poster

I'm in the same boat. Windows in Coherence don't switch correctly as stated above.

Another example of the issue: I have two applications open - we'll use Word and Outlook for the example - and both apps are maximized. Word is currently in front of Outlook. If I click the Outlook button in the task bar, Word stays in the front, but the mouse and other controls are actually controlling the Outlook application. When I click what looks like a word in my document, it's actually clicking something on Outlook (e.g. it opened a reply window to an email).

I too have had to switch to full screen mode to get past this - I just can't use multiple programs at the same time (which is pretty much my job). C'mon Parallels - please don't force me to switch to VMWare...

14. YanaYana

YanaYana

15. Nicholas Block

Nicholas Block Bit poster

Crystal mode has always been disabled in my configuration. Completely useless feature.

16. mdavidpackard

mdavidpackard Bit poster

Fix worked for me

I don't like giving up crystal mode, but the fix worked for me... any timeline on a real fix?

17. chabig

chabig Hunter

I'm not even using Crystal mode and coherence is broken for me (Window 7 on Mountain Lion). When in coherence I see no windows at all, not even the Windows taskbar. The only way to make the windows elements visible is to go full screen or run windowed.

18. MonteT

MonteT Bit poster

App window overlay problem

I also am not using Crystal mode, there is definitely an issue with Coherence window behavior on Mtn Lion was working fine prior to Mtn Lion upgrade. With multiple windows apps running I have to constantly minimize apps for them to be visible otherwise the previous app window remains visible where the mouse/trackpad will interact with the underlying app window.

This should be very easily reproducible.

19. MartijnS

MartijnS Bit poster

Unfortunately the 'disable Crystal mode' didn't work for me (didn't use it before, but switching it on/off multiple times didn't do the trick for me).

Still working in Window mode, hopefully there will be a solution or a better workaround soon...

20. therealchrisbye

therealchrisbye Bit poster

Similar behaviour here. For me the big issue seems to be that when I try to open a dialogue box from within my Windows application, there can be a delay of anywhere from 0 to 30 seconds for the dialogue box to appear; while waiting for it to appear the application is unresponsive - clicking anywhere on the application only results in the "bell" sound that Windows gives when an application is hung up.

Very frustrating!