install of winXP hangs

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by coldrick, Jun 8, 2007.

1. coldrick

coldrick Bit poster

It gets down to about half-way thru "installing devices", says 36 minutes remain, and just doesn't get any farther.

Tried both the "fast WinXP install" and a custom install: both had the same behaviour.

Perhaps I need a service pack or two merged with the CD???

Regards,
    David

2. Bonesan

Bonesan Bit poster

Make a ISO of your installation disk and try your install that way. If it fails again you may have a bad install disk. Believe me, it has been known to happen. You can create an ISO file utilizing the Parallels Imaging Tool located in your Parallels Application folder.

3. coldrick

coldrick Bit poster

Since my install disk was XP+sp1, I decided to slipstream sp2 into it: used the resulting disk and it installed OK.

Regards,
    David

4. coldrick

coldrick Bit poster

Oh, btw, I can't find a Parallels imaging tool: what folder are you referring to?

Regards,
    David

5. muds_kill

muds_kill Bit poster

Install isn't working for me from Windows XP Home Upgrade. (No service pack 2)

I've made ISOs (multiple times). Messes up at the same spot; initializing devices. Sometimes it reboots repeatedly. Sometimes it just hangs.

I've tried using two (2) Windows XP Home CDs. They are the original CDs and are not scratched up. I've tried installing from the CDs, and installing from ISO ripped from the CDs.

THIS IS LIKELY A PARALLELS BUG. Did anyone at Parallels try a fresh install from XP Home (without Service Pack 2) to verify this product can install?

I'm a bit torked off that I've wasted a significant chunk of time trying to get this to work, after shelling out $50 for the 3.0 upgrade.

FIX THIS BUG. I can't use your product without it, and I doubt I'm alone from reading other Windows XP users install complaints on here.

6. Hogan65

Hogan65 Bit poster

I am having the same problem. How do you get a XP SP2 slipstream?

7. muds_kill

muds_kill Bit poster

No idea re: slipstream

No idea about slipstream, but why should we have to figure out how to hack together an updated Windows XP install disk just to get parallels to install?

If the emulation is so buggy at the moment that it can't handle an original Windows XP Home install disk, then what motivated them to release it just before WWDC?

8. muds_kill

muds_kill Bit poster

It's definately a BUG with parallels

Because I took the same disk images and installed XP Home flawlessly under VMWare Fusion. And to think I paid $50 + my time and effort to find out the commercially released product doesn't work and the free beta does.

That's just rediculous.

9. coldrick

coldrick Bit poster

To slipstream sp2 into a WinXP cd (you need to be in a windoze system to do this):

1) Copy the contents of the CD to a hard drive
    2) Download sp2 (http://tinyurl.com/2edmn8)
    3) Download and install nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/)
    4) Start nlite, point it to your CD contents, push the buttons for adding a service pack, customisation (*very* useful), etc., point it to your sp2 .exe when it asks, and have it create an iso, which you can then burn to a fresh CD or use as is

Regards,
    David