Windows 8 icons flashing / blinking?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by D-an-W, Aug 15, 2012.

1. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

Just recently installed the preview of Windows 8 in a Parallels VM and have a strange issue with blinking (Or flashing) icons, it happens in full screen and windowed modes (Don't use other modes so not tested them).

The two default icons in the task bar do it, as well as any other programs that are launched. Also, the file icons do it when viewed in Explorer. I have also noticed the Internet Explorer tile also does a similar thing when viewing the Metro(?) interface, this icon switches from an old style to new style icon every second or so.

If no one has come across this issue, I guess the best thing would be to film it on my iPhone but I thought I would ask before that next step.

Any ideas folks?

2. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

3. Bmanning81

Bmanning81 Bit poster

i get the desktop / icons flashing and blinking on the Mountain Lion Side but not the Windows side. This only happens for me though when im in Full Screen

4. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

On a fresh VM install there is no flashing until Parallel Tools is installed and once installed, if I end the task "Parallels Control Center" the blinking stops.

Is there anything I can do to further troubleshoot this?

5. Rhino7

Rhino7 Bit poster

I also have this problem on my mid-2011 Mac Mini. Has anyone figured out a way to stop the flashing (other than killing the parallels process mentioned in a previous post)?

6. MarioBey

MarioBey Bit poster

Same issue

Please, i have the same issue. If I stop Parallels Control Center, my icons stops blinking. And i don´t have a external monitor; I have a MacBook Pro 2012 w/Mountain Lion

The WA http://kb.parallels.com/es/114452/?show_at=en is very poor

7. RaffaeleG

RaffaeleG Bit poster

Same issue

I just created a new VM with the latest version of Win8 Pro from my MSDN subscription and I have a MBP with OSX Mountain Lion and the latest version of Parallels.
    I work full screen because I use my Win8 machine to develop apps for the App Store.
    The icons on the desktop of Win8 blinks even the app bar does it. I tried to change various UI settings in Parallels and in Win8 but nothing changed.
    Any idea? I guess the Graphic Driver porting is still W.I.P.?

8. vasilyz

vasilyz Parallels Developers

On VmConfig->Options->Applications page try to set
    Web Pages: Default
    Email: Default

9. RaffaeleG

RaffaeleG Bit poster

Nice, it works! I was redirecting web pages and e-mails to OSX.
    Thanks!

10. DEZIN3R

DEZIN3R Bit poster

Sorry for the newb question, but where can i access the "VmConfig->Options->Applications" to fix this issue? I am using Parallels 7 if that helps.

Thx in advance. :)

11. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

If you run your VM in Window mode, you should see the Virtual Machine option at the top Mac menubar.

If that's Coherence view mode, you should be able to see Parallels sign (two red lines) at the top right corner of your screen. Press Alt button and click on it and chose Configure.