Upgrade for International Version

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mkuron, Jun 8, 2007.

1. mkuron

mkuron Bit poster

Does the $39/$49 upgrade price and the free-upgrade-if-purchased-after-May-1st also apply for international customers (I bought my German copy from Avanquest)?
    If yes, how do I claim my free upgrade (got my copy on May 8th) - I guess I'll have to wait till Avanquest upgrades their version to 3.0.

2. marcelbeemster

marcelbeemster Bit poster

My original retail copy of parallels has a "UK" mark on it. I forgot about it, ordered the $39 discount and tried installing 3.0 just last night: no luck. After entering the upgrade key it wants the original key and rejects that. Does not say why. So hoping for the international version soon (I have not seen any indication at all that there is such a thing) and hope that it will accept my discount-upgrade key (which might as well be US-only). Interestingly, with the upgrade key I was promised an email when 3.0 would be ready. I have not received that email yet so perhaps they figured out from my registered UK key that I am international.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  3. Tobsen

Tobsen Junior Member

Thanks!

I was about to order the Update too. I have the German version. Why can't they tell us this on the order page?

I do not undestand why we international users can't use betas etc. :mad:

4. AndyB

AndyB Bit poster

Eek - I havent yet installed v3 (backing up lots of stuff first) but I also have a uk ver 2.5 key, and have purchased the $39 upgrade, does this mean my new key is going to be the same.. i.e. it wont work as my original key is a uk one. (is there a means of swapping the key, or just doing away with the regional keys?)

5. Joanna Carter

Joanna Carter Junior Member

I too have not been able to upgrade my UK version but, what has happened, is that the VMs have now been upgraded!!

I am now unable to work until this has been resolved. Can I send an invoice for my daily rate to Parallels ?:p

6. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Generally, localized versions become available shortly after the US version GA release. As soon as your localized version becomes available you can download it by choosing Check for Updates from the Help menu on the Parallels Desktop menubar. It will download all minor updates available for your version of Parallels Desktop and inform you about the major updates available.
    Our local partners are dealing with distributing the localized Parallels Desktop keys, please be patient and wait for the announcement from them.

7. dicky

dicky Bit poster

Not much use

I do not really understand that reply - if you offer upgrades in UK pounds, aware that many people will have purchased v.2 in store - then why will their old keys not work? If the upgrade does not work for international purchasers, you should not be offering it.
    And if you have already upgraded - then how is the fact that the "localisation partners" will offer updates going to help? How will we know when international flavours are available and will I then have to download another version? Will it work with both codes? Why can we not either exchange our original codes for ones that work, or can you not work out a way of getting the programs you have sold to work....

8. OllyW

OllyW Junior Member

What do you do if you have already upgraded the UK version of Parallels using the US version?

I am having similar problems to others on here, I installed the software released last night but I'm now stuck in limbo with it refusing to accept my original activation key. How can I check for updates, if the software is unusable?

There is no warning on your download page that it is only for US users. Do you not think it would be sensible to give your customers this information, it can't be that hard to place a warning on a web page?

9. AndyB

AndyB Bit poster

So we have to wait for an announcement from some european company who has no idea that I exist as I bought a boxed product?

Are our details passed on to this company? as I bought the upgrade when it was on offer and my address was recorded as being in the UK and I paid in GBP.

Is there anyway we can swap our localized keys for US ones ?(where we frequent the forums, read the news, and short of our original purchase have now purchased items with yourselves.)

I for one really am wishing I never bought the boxed product and just ordered online in the first instance.

10. OllyW

OllyW Junior Member

It gets worse!!!

UK users who have purchased the boxed version and the 3.0 upgrade read this reply from Avanquest, the UK distributors of Parallels

I am not a happy bunny :mad:

11. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello, refusing
    The UK version of Parallels coming soon (in a few days), but now try to use Trial key from www.parallels.com

12. AndyB

AndyB Bit poster

I like the way when emailing support@parallels.com as suggested by their distributor you get an automated email advising you that they dont provide direct email support:

Thank you for contacting Parallels Support!
    Unfortunately we provide email support for the issues submitted to us through the request form on our website only.

13. eddyk

eddyk Member

I just bought the upgrade, the upgrade key has been accepted and of course my (european) activation key has been refused...
    I have sent this letter to Diana (see sticky "Activation Key Problems") at order-support@parallels.com:

"
    I just bought the upgrade for Parallels Desktop for Mac version 3.0.

My order has been accepted and I received communications from notification-eng@element5.com and theLicense Key for "Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Upgrade". Also my credit card (Diners Club) has been debited.
    Attached is an Invoice in euro currency from "Digital River GMBH of Germany".

So everything seems OK. But...

Trying to install the upgrade, I was able to enter the License key for the upgrade.
    Then the software asked me the activation key for the PREVIOUs version of Parallels desktop.

It is considered as an Invalid activation key !

My initial copy of Parallels Desktop was a boxed set bought from the Belgian Apple store and it has worked with this very same activation key.

What do I do now?

Thanks for a very soon reply as I am stucked by now.
    "

14. OllyW

OllyW Junior Member

Update, it gets worse

Parallels support agreed the only option is for them to refund my money.

Now they have realised they are unable to arrange refunds :D :D :D

I am trying to get a refund from element 5.......

This is not how a professional company should be run

15. OllyW

OllyW Junior Member

Andy, try order-support@parallels.com

16. eddyk

eddyk Member

activation problems for european customers

This doesn't work as a "previous" copy activation key.
    Had to restart parallels and enter then Trial key alone.

This activation scheme different for UK versions and US versions is not very clever seems to me.

17. stuartf

stuartf Member

I have the same problem with the Upgrade key and a UK version of 2.5.

I contacted order support and included both keys in my email. I received the following standard reply:

Parallels Desktop 3.0 is a major upgrade for Parallels Desktop and it
    will work with the new 3.0 activation key that comes as separate
    purchase, either full version or upgrade version that is available for
    the owners of the previous Parallels Desktop versions. You can order
    Parallels Desktop 3.0 US version online on our website
    http://www.parallels.com or purchase at the nearest retail store when as
    soon as it is shipped.
    If you have ordered Parallels Desktop 3.0 key already and you are
    experiencing problems with activating the product, please send us your
    key for verification.

My standard message to parallels support - Thank you for not bothering to read my email!!!!

Support of this low quality does not reflect well for the product future.

Stuart

18. OllyW

OllyW Junior Member

Stuart, try order-support@parallels.com

I can't complain about the response from both the UK and US support staff, they have tried to help solve the mess. I think it is the way the software is sold that is the problem.

The company does not seem to be organised at all, it is selling the wrong version of the upgrade to customers who will not be able to use it. When you purchase the upgrade you have to give your full address including the country and it even takes the payment in your own currency, so there is no excuse for them not knowing that you are not from the USA.

19. stuartf

stuartf Member

20. stuartf

stuartf Member

That's all very well but the concept of having a separate UK version is just laughable. What exactly is customised for the UK market!!! The manual even contains US English spelling!

Use of a trial key is fine but if Parallels fail to deliver the UK version in time we end up with unusable virtualisation software in 15 days. (Note there is no Z in the UK spelling of virtualisation!)

There was never a direct download for the UK version before so just how will we know where/when to get it?

When I purchased the boxed product from Apple Store UK there was no prior indication that it was a Avanquest supplied product and that it was UK specific

When purchasing the upgrade the on-line process accepted my non-US address and fulfilled the order in Euros with added TAX.

This is just lame. Parallels screwed up this upgrade process big time and should just come clean and admit it. Especially if they want any future business from existing customers outside of the USA

Stuart