Mac host machine keeps going to sleep

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RHS, Aug 18, 2012.

1. RHS

RHS Hunter

Greetings.
    I am running a late 2008 iMac with the OS X 10.8, with Parallels Desktop version 7.0.15106, running Windows 7 as a guest OS.
    I've noticed since upgrading the Mac OS to 10.8, it will still go to sleep, including put the disk to sleep even though Parallels is busy running Windows (network access, disk i/o). This will interrupt the downloading on Windows.

Why? I would think the Mac would only go to sleep if the Windows VM is shut down.

Any ideas or advice would be helpful.

Thank you.

2. JoacimB

JoacimB Junior Member

I have the same problem.

Altough, running Ubuntu LTS 12.04 with a webserver running.

Still sleeps.

3. RHS

RHS Hunter

I'm glad I'm not the only one

The question in my mind is: is it a Mac thing or a Parallels thing.
    I have been given a link from the Mac discussion forum to a tiny app called "Caffeine" that will disable the sleep function on the Mac. You can turn it on or off at will.
    I'll give that a try.

4. RHS

RHS Hunter

re: Caffeine app

Well, it works as designed.
    It disables everything regarding energy settings.
    You cannot even put the monitor to sleep by moving the mouse to a hot corner.
    The network connection goes to sleep every time.
    You must turn it on, and leave the monitor on all the time for Caffeine to work.

I'm thinking it's a Mac thing.
    I did not experience this issue in the previous OS.
    Even if there's all sorts of disk i/o, network activity, etc...from the VM, the Mac will STILL go to sleep.

5. RHS

RHS Hunter

re: sleep issues

Greetings again.
    I received this from an experienced user on the Apple forum:

"It doesn't surprise me that a virtual machine doesn't work well with OS X power management. It's a low-level system modification and you have to expect deviations from normal behavior. You'll have to get help from the developer or its user forums."

Your thoughts?
    I upgraded Parallels first, downloading and installing the latest and greatest version.
    Then I upgraded to Mountain Lion.
    This is when I noticed ML's refusal to acknowledge the fact that the VM was running, then killing the network connection.

I'd really like to see if anyone else has seen this.
    The only workaround I know of is to set the "...put disk to sleep" to "never" when I'm using the VM.
    Annoying!

6. ReinhardS

ReinhardS Bit poster

I have the same problem with Parallels 7 for Mac, Build 7.0.15106. Host is Mountain Lion 10.8.1, Guest is a Windows 7 and a Windows XP.
    Just sent a problem report to Parallels. I don't see this issue in applications from Apple that's why I think this is a Parallels issue.