Windows will not pop to the front or top on a mouse click in Parallels Desktop 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by CristianL, Jul 26, 2012.

1. AlainH

AlainH Junior Member

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

3. AlainH

AlainH Junior Member

Hi YanaYana

Thanks for the feedback.

However, while disabling Crystal Mode (as suggested in the workaround) may address the problem of mouse flickering, it doesn't fix the problem of windows not popping to the front (ie becoming topmost) when activated: on my system, Crystal Mode has always been off so I don't experience mouse flickering - just the window activation issue.

Regards,
    Alain

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

Can you please send the problem Report and pose the ID here so that i can forward it to the dev team?

5. Bruce Brown

Bruce Brown Junior Member

I too have had the same problems. I contacted suppport a week or two ago and they had me make a video of what my computer is doing. I sent them the video and was then told that it had been escalated and they could no longer help me. This issue will be addressed in a future update.

I got excited the other day thinking the update that was just released would take care of the problem but it didn't.

I'm running in Windows full screen mode which works perfectly until they actually do fix it.

I feel like a beta tester.

P.S. I don't run in Crystal Mode and never have so that doesn't fix it.

6. MartinLiss

MartinLiss Member

@YanaYana: I just want to point out that while the temporary workaround http://kb.parallels.com/en/114529 may fix the flickering problem, it doesn't affect the main problem stated in the thread's subject which is "Windows will not pop to the front or top on a mouse click". Is there a fix or workaround in progress for that?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  7. Tech_Kevin

Tech_Kevin Bit poster

This is So bad I'm going back to Lion :(

Especially when using Outlook 2010 from the windows guest

8. MartinLiss

MartinLiss Member

No need to do that. It's Coherence that's the problem so you can use Modality.

9. Tech_Kevin

Tech_Kevin Bit poster

But then I can't use Coherence! I like Coherence and expect it to work!! I am not a trusting person so I all I have to do to go back to Lion is reboot to another partition.. I will check back hopefully Parallels can get it figured out.

10. YanaYana

YanaYana

We are working on the fix, so. hopefully, it might be released soon

11. MartijnS

MartijnS Bit poster

That's good news! Thanks!

12. JakB

JakB Bit poster

http://kb.parallels.com/en/114472 that is the link to the article.

As far as ETA, as they always say when they have a bug. Soon!

this s u c k s! But that is life in software.

13. YanaYana

YanaYana

It depends on the issue. Sometimes it can be easily isolated and fixed in the next update, sometimes it takes a long time to rewrite all the linked functions and features in order not to brake anything else instead.

14. JakB

JakB Bit poster

I am really thinking of switching to VM ware because of this. Does someone know if VM has a "coherence" type view?

15. RiX

RiX Junior Member

Windowing issue in Coherence on MacBookPro 15 inches - June 2012

MacBookPro 15 inches - June 2012 - Windowing issue in Coherence

Hello,
    Same thing on a brand new MacBook pro 15 inch June 2012
    Lion 10.8 with all updates and Parallels 7.0.15106 August 3d, 2012
    Windows 7 Pro VM

Windowing issues, as well in coherence.
    Windows in background not displaying in foreground,
    unless windows is minimised then maximised.

Coherence is broken, and Parallels support have so far
    not responded with a fix after 8 weeks.

Are they all in summer holidays ?
    Or they just don't care having their customer switching to Vmware Fusion !

Vmware Fusion 4, works perfectly in Unity under mountain Lion.

16. Leon_Vie

Leon_Vie Bit poster

Sorry, but what about testing the new software release before sharing?...

I will change to VMWARE FUSION 5, it runs like a charm

17. eosmann

eosmann Bit poster

I work all day on my Mac and develop code on Windows using Parallels coherence mode for nearly two years now and I must say that, first I love this capability but second I am seriously sick and tired of this companies horrible support and continually problems with each release in the last few years that I have been using their product - daily. They push out updates that are obviously never fully tested and cause me countless hours of grief and sometimes weeks and even months of hobbling along as in this very case right now. I have learned to put up with this because I have to, I have no choice but I've had it! Had it with waiting for a solution and any valid feedback whatsoever that a solution will ever even come. They need to get some real testers and actually really test the coherence mode before doing a release, but like that is going to happen!

I'm going to start the process of moving to VMWARE Fusion 5 as soon as possible and without knowing that much about their product will still recommend that others do the same.

Pay attention Parallels and get with the program!! PRIORITY #1 - Fix your product ASAP or provide some option to back out your updates since nearly ever initial update has needed to be backed out at one point or another.

At this point you are making life more difficult for us all, so its time to move on.

18. Frappy

Frappy Bit poster

Leon - you really need to get your facts straight:
    1.) Parallels 7 was released on 9/6/2011
    2.) Mountain Lion was released on 7/25/2012

Parallels 7 is not considered "new" as of this time - Mountain Lion is considered "new" - how do you know that the changes that Apple made did not break Parallels functionality that worked on all previous versions of OS X?

Another fact that you've overlooked - Parallels generally has a major release with each OS X version - 10.5 = Parallels 5, 10.6 = Parallels 6 (x64), 10.7 = Parallels 7 - and 10.8 = Parallels 8 (Sept. 4th, 2012).

YanaYana is right - this is a bug that I'm facing as well and it will eventually be resolved. It is annoying, and not something that I would expect long term, but at the same time I'd rather have them isolate, test, and then functional test other aspects that could be affected as opposed to just releasing something quickly that causes more issues.

Maybe you should have waited with upgrading your machine...I upgraded knowing that there would be some issues with software - if you think that development and testing of a solution like Parallels is a piece of cake and that they have failed at doing their regression testing, then move to something else. I have used all the virtualization software products out there - Parallels has been better then any of them for the Mac. Take some personal responsibility in your action through upgrading as well and let the dev's keep working towards a solution without stating annoying comments.

19. YanaYana

YanaYana

Hello guys.

Please, try to update to Mac OS 10.8.1

If it does not help, please generate a Problem Report and pose an ID here, thank you

20. eosmann

eosmann Bit poster

Did the update to 10.8.1 as suggested - No change!

Support ID: 83697-37808

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012