Coherence Mode in PD7 with OS X 10.8 does not work

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by NeeravU, Jul 27, 2012.

1. RiX

RiX Junior Member

MacBookPro 15 inches - June 2012 - Windowing issue in Coherence

Hello,
    Same thing on a brand new MacBook pro 15 inch June 2012
    Lion 10.8 with all updates and Parallels 7.0.15106 August 3d, 2012
    Windows 7 Pro VM

Windowing issues, as well in coherence.
    Windows in background not displaying in foreground,
    unless windows is minimised then maximised.

Coherence is broken, and Parallels support have so far
    not responded with a fix after 8 weeks.

Are they all in summer holidays ?
    Or they just don't care having their customer switching to Vmware Fusion !

Vmware Fusion 4, works perfectly in Unity under mountain Lion.

2. RiX

RiX Junior Member

Hello,
    Same thing on a brand new MacBook pro 15 inch June 2012
    Lion 10.8 with all updates and Parallels 7.0.15106 August 3d, 2012
    Windows 7 Pro VM

Windowing issues, as well in coherence.
    Windows in background not displaying in foreground,
    unless windows is minimised then maximised.

Coherence is broken, and Parallels support have so far
    not responded with a fix after 8 weeks.

Are they all in summer holidays ?
    Or they just don't care having their customer switching to Vmware Fusion !

Vmware Fusion 4, works perfectly in Unity under mountain Lion.

3. Chuck Rice

Chuck Rice Bit poster

Just upgraded from 10.8 to 10.8.1. This problem still persists. Doesn't Parallels have Beta testers for new releases?

4. WHirsch

WHirsch Bit poster

Solved that problem for me...

You guys are really joking!

Many customers are doing business with that software that worked before and it's just a lie that 10.8 changed too much to provide a stable virtualization product across OS system versions. Now you're telling jokes and name it workaround, people here need a solution.

I found mine! I'm working with coherence again. Ahem, actually it's called unity and the feature belongs to vmware fusion. Needless to say that one can use the version that was available with 10.7 and still works with 10.8...

Converting the VMs was done with a single click but the hard work was to get rid of the parallels stuff in Mac OS and the VMs because of erroneous deinstallation procs (not really surprising).

It's stable for one week now and even some special windows apps are behaving correct now when they did not in whichever parallels version before (i was using every version since 2006).

For me: problem solved, Parallels Inc. will never see one cent from our business again.

5. YanaYana

YanaYana

Guys,

Those who upgraded to Mac OS 10.8.1 and it didn't help,

Can you please generate the Problem report from Help --> Report a Problem and post the ID here. Thanks

6. RiX

RiX Junior Member

This is not a fix !!!

http://kb.parallels.com/en/114472

PARALLELS SUPPORT SAYS,
    If the issue still persists on 10.8.1
    Minimize this window to Task bar and click on it again to maximize it.

THIS IS NOT A FIX !!!!!! THIS IS NOT A FIX !!!!!! THIS IS NOT A FIX !!!!!!
    THIS IS NOT A FIX !!!!!!

FIX THIS SHIT ONCE AND FOR ALL !!!

I SENT IN ALL THE PROBLEMS REPORTS

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=637014#post637014

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=632874#post632874

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=633188#post633188

Application windows in Coherence do not come to front after upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion
    Article ID: 114472
    APPLIES TO:
    Desktop Virtualization
    Symptoms
    You are no longer able to switch between application windows in Coherence mode after upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion.
    Solution
    Update your OS X to 10.8.1. by clicking on Apple logo > Check for Updates... and install the latest OS X update

If the issue still persists
    Minimize this window to Task bar and click on it again to maximize it.

7. nxlbob

nxlbob Bit poster

Unbelievable!

I just submitted my second request to have this issue fixed! All I've gotten yesterday and today are marketing emails from Parallels. Perhaps put more people to work on this issue before the rest of us head to another option. It is impossible to continue to work like this.

8. nxlbob

nxlbob Bit poster

And here's the problem report ID: 17636925

9. RiX

RiX Junior Member

Solution is Parallels 8 and 50 $ ???

Perhaps their solution is to spend an extra 50 $ and go with Parallels 8 !
    Now how can we possibly upgrade without knowing if this issue had been fixed ???

Parallels support really sucks.

THey should at least give free upgrade to the users experiencing this issue on mountain lion !

10. BJ_Barker

BJ_Barker Bit poster

7 is not compatible with Mountain Lion

I only upgraded to Mountain Lion because parallels said version 7 was compatible. I also upgraded to version 7 from 6.
    Now I have a windows environment that is so hard to use I can't get any work done. I hear version 8 is out now and I should get a free upgrade. I sure hope this major bug is fixed in version 8 and I hope that I don't have to wait weeks for the upgrade license.

I was just telling my co-worker last week that he should switch to Parallels from VM. Now I might be switching to VM if this isn't fixed soon.

11. DEHWall

DEHWall Bit poster

Problems Maximising Desktop 8 with 2nd Monitor.

Desktop 8 still has problems with Windows 7, coherence and 2nd monitor.

Using a VM from Desktop 7 results in the following, logged in as a Windows Domain user (with administrative permissions):

Maximising the windows app screen in the iMac causes it to disappear and the only way to get it back is to go into full screen and then out of full screen on the Mac task bar

Maximising in the second monitor works correctly.

However, added new (mac) user and added existing virtual machine and problem disappears initially and then suddenly reappears.

12. YanaYana

YanaYana

guys we are still working on the fix. We are doing our best but the work is still in progress. I'll keep you posted!

13. nxlbob

nxlbob Bit poster

Really?

No offense, but it's been weeks since you even posted on this, let alone provide an update. I have paid for an upgrade to P8 only because it sorta fixes my issue, though it has issues of its own. When I report problems they go unanswered. I'm told things are sent to "second level support" and I never hear from them. While I am sticking with Paralles for now as I have been a fan since early on, it is clear to me that that there is a lack of respect for your users and their time. Everyone on this thread wants to help resolve these problems and has put in time to troubleshoot and report. All I've recieved so far is "give us $50 and we'll upgrade you to P8 and it sorta works." Unacceptable.

14. BrianNydish

BrianNydish Member

Please hurry and fix this issue

Please give us a status update? This is a major issue for us. I have purchased Parallels for Mac to use on my Mac. Currently,...it's not doing what many of us have paid for or need. Thank You.

15. ScottRea

ScottRea Bit poster

Please provide status update of this issue...

16. ddeatoniv

ddeatoniv Bit poster

Critical bug! Needs more resources and communication.

I completely agree! What is the latest news on this? Can we have some communication on this please?
    For what it's worth, I will not be upgrading to V8 until this is fixed! At this point, I'm actually considering activating my VMware license and giving that a go.

17. BrianNydish

BrianNydish Member

Help

Any news,....Just left the Mac store and they recommended using Fusion until this is resolved. Anytime frame here?

18. WalterW

WalterW Bit poster

I am using PD7 and I too noticed coherence did not work sometimes. I was able to resolve this problem when I realized that I have 4 monitors connected and available on the mac and in the windows vm i did not have them checked to use all monitors in full screen mode. I had to check to use all monitors and then inside the windows vm i added them as extended. It kinda made sense when I thought about it because in coherence mode i might be moving the windows app windows to a second or third monitor which would not be available unless windows knew it was there.. Did I explain that right? I think if you ask everyone who is having a coherence problem you will find they are using multi-monitors and the windows vm is not setup to use all monitors in full screen mode. Also I noted that sometimes the Mac causes the windows vm to reset what monitors are available so whenever I can't use coherence and I check the display settings in the windows vm... i notice the monitors are there but not active... setting them to active resolves this problem for me every time. Hope this helps.

19. samwomack_

samwomack_ Bit poster

PRAM Reset

Try a PRAM Reset; Shutdown Computer, Hold Down CMD + ALT + P + R, Turn Computer Old, Let the startup Bong sound x3 by continuing to hold those keys...then release them...(computer will act as though it is turning off 3 Times...)

This seems to be holding steady for me as a workaround...

20. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

hah. i had forgotten about this issue, since i switched to just using full screen. today i was wondering why i kept using full screen and not coherence, but kept going anyway. way to break me down parallels.