LAN issue

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MacUser, May 1, 2006.

1. MacUser

MacUser Member

LAN issue (SOLVED)

Hello Forum,

I need some advice to solve a LAN issue.

This is the situation:

On my MBP I have VM Beta6 running with XP.

* I can connect fine to the internet,
    * I can share files fine between OSX and XP with SharedFolders in XP,
    * But I can NOT connect from other LAN OSX computers to the guest VM with XP,
    however I can successfully "ping" the VM with XP from other LAN OSX computers and from the OSX host (I have windows computers in the LAN).

I have enabled bridget Ethernet (en1-wireless),
    I have unique fixed IP numbers for all computers and the VM with XP.
    I disabled the firewalls in all computers and in XP,
    All network items of the Parallels Network adapter are enabled.
    File and printer sharing is enabled in XP

So the connection is there, I can acess the Internet and I can share files with Shared folders from XP but when entering the unique IP address of the VM with XP in the "Connect to server.." of OSX finder I get a message that "the server don't exist or is not available or that I used a wrong IP number".

Perhaps it is due to my poor knowledge of Windows XP but I can't solve this issue myself.

If someone can give me a hint how to solve this network connection issue it would be very kind.

Regards Wim.

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  2. skywalker

skywalker Junior Member

just to make sure:
    did you share a folder within xp?
    if not just do so.
    i usuallyit takes a time until the other clients "see" the new smb/cifs server.
    it's the same with me here with windows/mac environment without vm's running.
    just give it some minutes to find the server.

3. MacUser

MacUser Member

Hello Skywalker,
    Thanks for your response.
    I tried to share the whole content of the "C" drive by dragging the icon to the Shared Folders window. I got an alias of the "C" drive but it didn't helped.
    I tried to get an alias of the XP desktop of my user account in XP into the Shared Folders but I can't figure out how to get it there.
    Any thoughts ?

Regards Wim.

4. skywalker

skywalker Junior Member

as i understood you have a lan problem accessing your files shared within xp to other mac os workstations. sharing files this doenst have to do with the parallels sharing option.
    just right click on a folder in xp and select the itm share.
    then you can share a folder over the network.

5. MacUser

MacUser Member

6. dblanch369

dblanch369 Bit poster

I have the similar problem too... In betas 1 thru 5, I had no trouble accessing my XP 64 computer from my W2K Virtual machine inside parallels... Now, after installing Beta 6, the drives no longer connect, and I can no longer see any of the computers on the local network. However, Internet access functions normally. I see you fixed yours, usernames/passwords are not the problem for me though.

Any ideas folks?

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  7. MacUser

MacUser Member

@ dblanch369

My fix was just to add "smb://" in front of the IP address of the VM that was all that was needed in my case to connect from OSX to XP. Perhaps you skipped this ?

Success, Wim.