Parallels 8 Retina

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Fly, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Fly

Fly Junior Member

Nice to have Retina MBP support....but....everything is so small in the Windows window. When I change the Windows resolution to something 'bigger' (less resolution), the Windows window shrinks (though things are 'bigger'). When I resize the Windows window, everything goes very tiny again (icons, text etc).

Is there a way to get the benefit of Retina support without needing a magnifying glass to see things?

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

Are you running Windows XP?

3. Fly

Fly Junior Member

yes, running XP

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

PD8 doesn't adjust DPI for Windows XP automatically because many older applications misbehave to the point of being unusable. Windows 7 and 8 are much better in this respect. For that reason Enable full resolution checkbox should have been off by default for your XP VM.

Anyway, you can try to adjust DPI scaling in XP manually to see how it would work:
    Right-click on the desktop > Properties > Settings tab > Advanced button > General tab > DPI setting.

5. Fly

Fly Junior Member

Have Enable Full Resolution checked, changed dpi to 200% and changed icon size from 32 to 45. Things looking good

But, can't say for sure if I had normal behavior before....but now notice that mouse does not travel beyond XP window....must invoke the Control Option command.

6. koppah

koppah Bit poster

Where can we control PD8's auto-tuning of DPI? I've been trying to play with this, as when I plug my laptop into a projector, 200% DPI is way too large, but the Parallels Agent seems to keep trying to do things for me....

7. serv

serv Forum Maven

Configuration > Devices > Video
    Enable full resolution - allows high resolutions in guest
    Optimize Windows for full resolution - tunes DPI in Windows

8. JerodD

JerodD Bit poster

Coherence mode destroys the custom DPI settings.

9. Napoleonyjl

Napoleonyjl Bit poster

I installed a 10.8 Mountain Lion using Parallels Desktop 8 in my Retina MBP. It works well except the DPI. I can change the resolution but can't reach retina class. Can I make it fit my retina display?