"Applications (Parallels)" folder

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PleasespecifyYourNickName, Aug 31, 2012.

1. PleasespecifyYourNickName

PleasespecifyYourNickName Bit poster

Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac seems to always create an "Applications (Parallels)" folder inside my user directory, as soon as I start one of my virtual machines.
    Although the folder is empty, it bugs me that this folder is always created - I don't like my user directory to be clustered with useless folders and other stuff I don't need.

Is there a way to switch off this behavior? I have turned off "Application sharing" between Windows and OS X for all my virtual machines. Also, I'm using Windows in windowed mode - no Coherence, Modality or whatever.

Thanks in advance,
    Oli

2. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

Same question here, did you find an answer PleasespecifyYourNickName?

3. PleasespecifyYourNickName

PleasespecifyYourNickName Bit poster

Unfortunately not yet. I hope for an update which fixes this. I made this folder hidden now (chflags hidden foldername), so I don't see it anymore when browsing files in the Finder.

4. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

Thanks, that tidied things up for now. I also added it to the Time Machine exemptions list.

5. ThomasMe

ThomasMe Bit poster

Hi there,

I'm currently chatting to parallels tec support. It seems they are not considering this issue as bug ...
    Thinking about downgrading to Parallels Desktop 7 again ...

Cheers

6. ThomasMe

ThomasMe Bit poster

Has anyone filed a bug on this?

7. SinwanC

SinwanC Bit poster

I have the same problem!

Wish Parallels can fix this bug soon.

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I also do not like this behaviour, as I don't share any application between VMs and OSX it bothers me to see this folder being created again and again even after deletion.

9. Ben Kirton

Ben Kirton Bit poster

Gets pretty frustrating when applications feel the need to litter all over your folder structure with useless folders.

Again i choose to come back to Parallels and again they make frustrating decisions that ultimately send me back to VMware as they do not feel the need to decide for me what i should do with files.

If we let every application do this we would have 30+ folders in the root of our home folder and 100 in our documents folder. Businesses need to stop thinking they are the only application people install and think about if you had multiple all making the same "enhancement".

It's bad enough i can't move the stupid MS folder that should be in Application Support.

10. tkrajacic

tkrajacic Bit poster

Any news on this?
    I hate having to delete this useless folder all the time. :(

11. Dev Null

Dev Null Bit poster

Hidden content in the Applications (Parallels)

It appears that the reason this folder is created is it creates a hidden application within this directory, even if you have application sharing turned off. The application is name ".{long-code-here}.app" and contains in the Contents/MacOS directory the "WinAppHelper" tool.

12. StacyStephens

StacyStephens Bit poster

This needs to be fixed! I maintain a particular file structure to maximize organization and Parallels has no business dictating otherwise.

13. RonMil

RonMil Bit poster

Yes ... this is ridiculous. I also don't use any kind of application sharing, and I hate a cluttered home-dir.

I added a cron-job to remove this directory for now, but this is ugly. At least there should be an option to make this a hidden directory or to specify its location.

14. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi guys, I'm on it. Will shoot a post when I have an update.

15. dmkrueger

dmkrueger Bit poster

Any update on this? The folder is very annoying..

16. Jeff.H

Jeff.H Bit poster

Any news yet?

17. demure

demure Bit poster

This is certainly a bug.... There is no reason for this to happen if a user doesn't use application sharing...

18. ThibautN

ThibautN Bit poster

[SUP][/SUP]Or... you could just run this in your terminal:
    Code:
    chflags hidden ~/'Applications (Parallels)'
    It will not fix the bug, obviously, but the folder will be hidden and won't be shown again.
    Not perfect but it's still a workaround.

19. ReinhardL

ReinhardL Bit poster

+1! Add my vote to this!
    I also don't want any application to clutter my own folders with useless stuff.

20. Kavokjoh

Kavokjoh Bit poster

Well it's been almost 5 years since Andrew@Parallels posted this so I'm guessing there ISN'T a fix....