PD8: Coherence not working properly when Retina is enabled

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GabrielMichaud, Aug 30, 2012.

1. GabrielMichaud

GabrielMichaud Bit poster

Hello,

I just migrated to PD8 this morning and I was finally able to see Windows 8 running in "retina mode". It looks and works as I would expect, however unfortunately Coherence mode is not usable when Retina is enabled with PD8. The Coherence window does not take into account the higher resolution of the underlying Windows window and we only see 1/4 of the content.

For now I disabled Retina support but it would be nice to have this fixed!

Gabriel

2. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Gabriel, Hello!
    Could you please generate Problem Report and post it's ID here? We'll investigate your problem.

sergk

3. hpeters998

hpeters998 Bit poster

same problem here. Created a ticket, was closed because I'm running Windows 8 and they don't support Windows 8.

Product is unusable with this bug. Doesn't happen with all apps tho, Office 2010 runs fine. For Example Mybase desktop does have this issue. Wasn't there in Parallels 7.

4. hpeters998

hpeters998 Bit poster

A problem report with the ID number 17632383 has been sent to Parallels to help us improve the product. Thank you for your feedback.

Attached Files:

5. GabrielMichaud

Bug ID is 17632433. I opened a case as well.

Attached Files:

6. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

hpeters998, Gabriel,
    Do you have problem only with certain application, not with all, isn't it?

Pleasy try this:
    1) disable 'Optimize Windows for full resolution' option in Vm configuration (Hardware->Video)
    2) shut down vm (not restart or reset) and start it again.
    Does it help?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  7. hpeters998

hpeters998 Bit poster

Hi Sergk,

It doesnt happen with all apps. Office 2010 works ok. I did what you asked and then it works fine, I can see the complete Application Window and I can drag the window. Only text is to small to read now. When I set font size to 150% in Windows the problem is back again.

Hugo.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  8. GabrielMichaud

sergk,

I unchecked Optimize Windows for full resolution and the problem goes away, however now font size is too small.

As mentionned previously, issue does not affect every application, but most of those I tried didn't render properly (Google Chrome, VB6)

9. weyland

weyland Bit poster

I have the same issue - just upgraded. Using Retina and Windows 7. Confirmed 1/4 window view using Navicat 8 for MySQL. Also noticed Cake poker embedded HTML doesn't line up with the application.

When the view is off, there is a grey area top left of the app too. If I try resizing or even moving the window, the grey background changes size - but you can tell the scale is off - the grey changes size slower than it should.

10. BrendanK

BrendanK Bit poster

Me too :)

I get the same problem too with Windows 7 and Quickbooks. It seems fairly clear that Coherence does not work with Retina displays - your choices are a quarter of the window or text too small to read.

I'm looking forward to when this is fixed because I find that now that I use very few Windows applications Coherence is really the best way to go most of the time.

11. serv

serv Forum Maven

One workaround for broken apps in Coherence with full resolution is to right-click that app shortcut, open its Properties, switch to Compatibility tab and check Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

12. SergeP

SergeP Bit poster

Thanks for that "disable scaling" workaround! Windows version of google chrome now works ok in coherence for me.

13. KerryW

KerryW Bit poster

Same Issue

I have just upgraded to Parallels 8 working with Mountain Lion on Retina and now have inability to use the only program that I have paralells for in Coherence. Please can you give more details on how to get to the workaround you describe above. What shortcut for the app are you referring to?

Regards,

Kerry

14. Mattster

Mattster Bit poster

PD8: Coherence, Crystal, and Remote Desktop issue

Using PD8 in Coherence mode working on Mac 10.7.4. PD8 OS is Windows 7. I use windows RDP (Remote Desktop) through a VPN connection. I like full screen RDP and that seems to work well. I have 2 monitors and can move the start menu to my other screen so RDP desktop has it's start menu bar on the other full screen window (which is also over the Mac dashboard). The other monitor is available for PD8 or the Mac apps. This seems to work well.

Once I click on Crystal mode to get the PD icon in the Mac menu bar, that is where things get weird. I then try to make the RDP window full screen, PD8 attempts to use the Mac's full screen mode which doesn't work well with dual monitors. The second monitor begins to show the blank metallic background, then PD8 stops doing the full screen mode mid-stream, then the RDP window goes back to a non-full screen window.

Unclicking the Crystal mode in PD8 preferences stops this behavior where both monitors work fine. Click the Crystal mode on again and the issue is repeatable.

Unchecking the configuration "Use Mac Full Screen" seems to help, although still a little buggy. After unchecking "Use Mac Full Screen", then starting RDP, PD8 still attempts to go to the full screen mode where both screens are being used, then stops mid-stream resulting in RDP being in a smaller window and not full screen. The difference here is that, going back to RDP and moving the window to the top to initiate full screen on that monitor now works and stays full screen.

So easy work around, but a little buggy.

15. hpeters998

hpeters998 Bit poster

No fixes in update

Just installed the recently released PD8 update and was hoping this problem would be fixed but it's still not working :(