Parallels 3.0 and game compatibility...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Shaun666, Feb 16, 2007.

1. mbeaver

mbeaver Bit poster

Well DDO didnt work under the following:

MacBook Pro CD 2.16Ghz
    2GB RAM

Using Windows Vista I get the following error:

"The Game encountered a fatal Windows API issue when attempting to start. Try rebooting your machine and starting again"

I will try on XP and let ya all know what I find!

2. moseph

moseph Bit poster

Maybe they should have thought against making a retail version that makes a claim about offering 3D support for the most popular games and software.

This is where i disagree with you about having unrealistic expecations. If a retail version claims to support the hottest most popular games that should lead the reader to have these kind of expectations. I agree that they are wild expectations if the advertisement said that it had limited 3D support. I think Parallels needs to change its advertising for now to state that the support for 3D is limited.

I agree with you for the most part and am simply trying to add to the conversation.

3. dan537

dan537 Junior Member

If you run POL Viewer in fullscreen instead of Windowed it runs fine. My problems started when FFXI loaded, everything was shifted up into the top, left-hand corner.

4. VTMac

VTMac Pro

As I said originally (I'm agreeing with you) Parallels contributed to this by both their silence on questions asked by various posters about capabilities as well as their marketing. (Which if the technology could live up to would be pretty good btw.)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  5. idiolect

idiolect Bit poster

Eve Online - Works

Eve Online works remarkably well, with only some graphical corruption on status bars (i.e., loading progress.) Otherwise, it's completely playable and renders normally on my first-gen Macbook Pro 2ghz/2gb - the in-game experience seems identical to playing on a PC.

6. Slowduck

Slowduck Bit poster

HAHAHAH!!!! I get farther than you! I get to hit the play now button and watch as the screen goes blank and listen to leonard Nimoy drone on and on about lava flows and intelligent life finally hatching....then.... NOTHING.

I don't know which is worse...being disappointed right away or having a glimmer of hope dashed on the rocks 20 minutes later...

I too am a little annoyed at the response from Parallels support. Copy protection? come on. THis isn't a copy protection issue, its a performance issue.

Its very disappointing that they post beautiful screenshots of 3d games running on parallels 3.0 yet except for half life 2, it doesn't sound like ANYONE has gotten ANYTHING to run in 3d on this software...

...usually software should pass the giggle test before releasing it...even if you ARE trying to beat others to "release". Thank god I paid $40 bucks for this upgrade....

:-(

7. AlanH

AlanH Pro

That's not a problem for the Parallels advertising copy writer, it's a problem of VMWare's making.

8. wesley

wesley Pro

Parallels excels in engineering, but loses a lot of points from marketing and tech support. Not that this is anything new...

Oh, and KartRider (Korean online racing game) works, although the texture colours become a bit weird after your car gets 'attacked' and stays that way until you finish the race. Performance isn't quite satisfactory yet with Intel Mac mini's integrated graphics.

9. AlanH

AlanH Pro

I hesitate to ask, since it's come up frequently in this thread already, but have you enabled DirectX support in the VM video configuration? You didn't mention it in your post.

This symptom was reported by at least one Civ4 user who had not enabled DirectX. After doing so he reported that Civ4 loaded and ran, though not at a playable speed.

10. bconnolly01

bconnolly01 Bit poster

Gtr2

I installed GTR2 and when I run it it says "original disc cannot be found or authenticated." ... have double checked and the correct disc is in the computer and connected to parallels ... in fact the autorun even executes

11. mbeaver

mbeaver Bit poster

Well DDO didnt work under the following:

MacBook Pro CD 2.16Ghz
    2GB RAM

Using Windows XP or Vista I get the following error:

"The Game encountered a fatal Windows API issue when attempting to start. Try rebooting your machine and starting again"

So DDO: Stormreach as of now is a no go unless there is some suggestions on how to fix the error...

12. ckuske

ckuske Bit poster

dxdiag

The DirectDraw tests in dxdiag don't even run in Parallels. That can't be a good sign.

13. radesix

radesix Member

I've tried the games delivered with Windows Vista. Solitare, Hold Em, Hearts etc.

None of them work. Varying degrees of issues from immediate shut down of the game to immediately shut down of the VM.

I won't try any other games if the Vista delivered games don't even work. I am thoroughly unimpressed.

14. DaMaDo

DaMaDo Bit poster

Do I need to install ATI drivers or should it just use the parallels ones? Someone got eve online to work but it's just a slideshow for me on a mac pro 2.66 with X1900XT 3 gigs RAM

15. radesix

radesix Member

DirectX 9? Why not DirectX 10????

16. Falconfire

Falconfire Bit poster

Good job missing the point of the whole passage (that Parallels is selling the kind of support that another company is giving away free BECAUSE they know its not ready for prime time)

17. bbf

bbf Junior Member

I have exactly the opposite problem to a lot of people...

This may not be relevant to most, but my wife loves old adventure/puzzle type games - not very CPU intensive, but a lot of the later ones are 3D. I just tried out Faust-Seven Games of the Soul (DirectX 6), and it works beautifully (next up, Gabriel Knight 3...). The only problem is the frame rate is too high (331 frames/second) - if I move the mouse off center, I spin around. Is there an easy way to throttle the speed of an old app that runs too fast on new hardware?

Blaise

18. radesix

radesix Member

Dear Parallels Team

This release wasn't worth paying for. This release should have been a minor update to 2.x.

I would have been more than happy to experience this disappointment for free and pay for a stable solution later.

How many tens of thousands of users will pay for the upgrade only to have 15 or 20 games or so even remotely capable of working?

19. slinberg

slinberg Bit poster

Diablo II: no joy

I was really hoping Diablo II would run under 3.0, but it doesn't. Fresh installs of Diablo II and D2: Lord of Destruction pass the video test now, but just peg the CPU at 100% when launched and do nothing further.

I know it's on the old side for a game, but that's all the more reason it should hopefully run IMO, as the system reqs are modest. I enabled 3D and upped the video RAM to 64mb (max).

If a future patch fixes whatever's wrong, I'll be very pleased and a lot less productive.

20. framerate

framerate Bit poster

You must have had DirectX turned off, because even running it in fullscreen like you say it's just a black screen with music and sound.

If there's another fix, please let us know!