openSUSE 12.2 display resolution

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by PeterEvans59, Sep 6, 2012.

1. PeterEvans59

PeterEvans59 Bit poster

Hi,

Very new to Parallels.

Create a new VM for openSUSE 12.2, all went well until I went to install the tools.

After reboot, it said kernel modules were missing.

I could not resize the display.

Being a long time VMWare user, I created the same VM and had no problem installing their tools and resizing display.

I am running Parallels 8.

Appreciate any suggestions?

Thanks
    Peter

2. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

Hi Peter,

OpenSuse 12.2 uses Xorg Server 1.12.3. Unfortunately in my newly upgraded Parallels Desktop 8 it appears that 1.12 is still the latest supported version. If this is the cause of your problem all we can do is wait, and hope for a Parallels Tools update that adds later xorg support.

- John

3. PeterEvans59

PeterEvans59 Bit poster

Hi John,

That makes sense, will continue with OpenSUSE 12.2 under VMWare until the Parallel Tools update occurs.

Regards
    Peter

4. mercy

mercy Parallels Developers

Hello everyone

We are working on the problem of Parallels Tools installation.
    Now we can recommend you the following workaround. It should help you to work with OpenSuse VM with supporting Parallels Tools:
    Open Terminal and type the following commands:

0. uname -a
    >> remember the version of kernel module. For example, 3.4.6-2.10-desktop

1. sudo cp /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze/prl_fs_freeze.ko /lib/modules/<kernel_module version>/extra/
    sudo cp /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prl_tg.ko /lib/modules/<kernel_module version>/extra/

sudo cp /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.ko /lib/modules/<kernel_module version>/extra/

sudo cp /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/prl_fs.ko /lib/modules/<kernel_module version>/extra/

2. sudo depmod -a

3. sudo modprobe prl_fs_freeze
    sudo modprobr prl_tg
    sudo modprobe prl_eth
    sudo modprobe prl_fs

4. Then reboot your VM

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
  5. PeterEvans59

PeterEvans59 Bit poster

Thanks I tried this and it worked, I was able to resize the desktop.

small type in "sudo modprobr prl_tg" -> "sudo modprobe prl_tg" in step 3

6. RadekV

RadekV Junior Member

It works by me too. I have correct point2 and 3 commands to "sudo /sbin/modprobe and /sbin/depmod...."

7. Juan B Gomez M

Juan B Gomez M Bit poster

Used to work...

Hi,

I'm also using Parallels 8 and OpenSUSE 12.2 as Guest OS. The aforementioned solution used to work for me, but after kernel upgrade to 3.4.11-2.16 the video resolution does not scale to resolutions higher than 1024x768; I applied the proposed solution once again and the message warning that Parallel tools are not installed disappeared, but high resolutions are still unavailable.

8. Juan B Gomez M

Juan B Gomez M Bit poster

Works again!!!

Hi,

I made a full remove then re-install of Parallels tools from linux console - since I kept getting a graphical restart any time I installed again, and that does not make oneself confident the process has finished successfully -, and I got the automatic adjustment working once again. Then, the patch still works with latest kernel upgrades.

9. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

This does not work for me at all

I guess I have to install parallels-tools for each guest OS. But with 12.2, I do the install, and nothing pops up.

I finally figured out how to do this. The instructions are obscure since there is no Parallels install dvd, just a dmg.

Also, I am not sure about the command
    cp /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze/prl_fs_freeze.ko /lib/modules/<kernel_module version>/extra/
    is there a space before the *?

There is no extra directory either under
    /lib/modules/3.4.11-2.16-desktop

10. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

worked, but dead again

I made the extra directory. After the kernel update, the screen resized. But I got a pop-up saying that parallels tools was missing required kernel modules and I should reinstall it. I did. Now no longer any changed resolution, it is just scaled.

I redid the depmod stuff too and rebooted twice. No luck.
    I get a popup on boot see attachment.

Attached Files:

11. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

worked finally

The install and uninstall worked.
    You have to do
    ./install --remove

and also really reboot after the reinstall. The script just logs you out.

12. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

Not yet fixed

The build 18305 of Parallels 8 has not yet fixed this. It is a real pain to go through the fix steps because of the long paths and the inability to cut and paste from the mac.

There is another issue too. The /media/"Parallels Tools" directory is not there until you view it with dolphin! I.e., cd to the directory (after clicking the Install Parallels Tools and telling it to mount it) fails.

13. JigarP1

JigarP1 Bit poster

Any update on when OpenSUSE 12.2 will be supported as guest? I know both VMWARE fusion and VirtualBox supports OpenSUSE 12.2 with "tools" support. I should have stayed with VMware which is a proven software with great support.

14. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

Works, but is a pain

The manual installation of the tools works, but is painful. I have not updated them along with Parallels for that reason. But I still have the proper screen resolution with the old tools.

15. JigarP1

JigarP1 Bit poster

The manual installation still would not give me higher resolutions.

16. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

Installer now works, kind of

Finally, Parallels said I could not use my Parallels Tools, so I had to reinstall. Here is what I had to do:
    1) Click Update Parallels Tools in the Tools menu
    2) Accept the CD warning and mount it (even though there is no CD in)
    3) If you get a pop-up, view the file in Dolphin, otherwise do it manually. The "Parallels Tools" directory does not appear if you do a ls until you click on it in the left pane of Dolphin!
    4) Then, as root do the following:
    a) # cd "/media/Parallels Tools/" // Why do they have to have a space in the name to make life harder?
    b) # ls
    install installer kmods tools version
    c) Uninstall Parallel Tools
    # ./install --remove
    or you can just do ./install and select the remove option
    d) Reboot
    5) As root repeat steps 1-3 and then do the following:
    a) # cd "/media/Parallels Tools/"
    b) # ./install
    c) It will download stuff from the Internet and reboot but this is not a real reboot. So in the login screen select reboot and when it completes, all will be working!

17. JigarP1

JigarP1 Bit poster

I followed above instructions and then did the following! That worked...

sudo cp /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.ko /lib/modules/`uname -a | awk '{print $3}'`/extra/
    sudo cp /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prl_tg.ko /lib/modules/`uname -a | awk '{print $3}'`/extra/
    sudo cp /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/prl_fs.ko /lib/modules/`uname -a | awk '{print $3}'`/extra/
    sudo cp /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/prl_fs.ko /lib/modules/`uname -a | awk '{print $3}'`/extra/
    sudo /sbin/depmod -a
    sudo /sbin/modprobe prl_eth
    sudo /sbin/modprobe prl_tg
    sudo /sbin/modprobe prl_fs
    sudo /sbin/modprobe prl_fs_freeze

18. WinfriedD

WinfriedD Bit poster

I just installed openSuse 12.2 with latest updates.
    I also followed the manual installation of parallel tools as described above, but still the screen resolution won't change when I resize the VM window.

This thread is now more than 4 months old. Will there be an update to Parallel tools soon ?

edit: after following the procedure suggested in the post above a second time, the screen resolution now changes correctly. However I still hope an update will soon be available.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  19. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team