Full Screen goes to wrong monitor

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by youngcm2, Sep 7, 2012.

1. youngcm2

youngcm2 Bit poster

When I drag the parallels window over to my 2nd monitor, hit full screen it goes full screen on my first monitor.

Settings:
    Use mac osx full screen - off
    Use all displays - off

2. YuriyM

YuriyM Member

Which OS X version do you use?

3. youngcm2

youngcm2 Bit poster

OSX: 10.8.1
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
    SMC Version (system): 1.70f5
    Serial Number (system): C02FK016DF93
    Hardware UUID: 65B2421A-0183-51CE-ABBB-23C46E855687
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

4. YuriyM

YuriyM Member

Could you please enable verbose logging (Preferences -> Advanced -> Use detailed log messages), then reproduce the issue and then send a problem report (Help -> Report a Problem)

Thanks!

5. Brian84

Brian84 Bit poster

Same

I have Parallels 8 and I use a 30" monitor attached to my Macbook Pro. When I enter full screen it puts it on the macbook, not the monitor. This was never a problem in the previous Parallels. One time it did ask something like "we think you're giving a presentation, is this correct?" but I can't see that option now.

Thanks.

6. Pep.Gas

Pep.Gas Bit poster

same problem here...that, and Parallels 8 obsession into showing Windows 7 VM in an insanely high resolution (like 5120x4000ish or something ridiculously high close to this) when in windowed mode and regardless of what manually choose in the guest OS, are VERY annoying issues to me.

I am seriously considering going back to P7 until all this gets sorted out :(

7. Pep.Gas

Pep.Gas Bit poster

Disabling "VM Configuration > Devices > Video > Enable full resolution" did the trick with the insanely high resolution problem.

Going into fs in the wrong monitor still happening though.

8. Brian84

Brian84 Bit poster

Solution

I've found that when the VM is displaying on the laptop instead of my monitor, all I have to do is unplug the video cable from my MB, let it all windows reset in the laptop display, then re-plug in the video cable. The windows all come back up on my monitor.

Leave Parallels in Full Screen mode the entire time. Seems to trick it or something.

9. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Well that's kind of stupid. Is there anyway to get it to open in the screen that the window is located in? Or at least some way to switch which screen it goes fullscreen on?

I LOVE the feature of it automatically detecting two screens and not using OSX fullscreen feature then. But not being able to select a screen kind of sucks. Any ideas??

10. YuriyM

YuriyM Member

AlekseyM,

we have found the cause of this issue. It will be fixed in the next update. Stay tuned

11. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Awesome!! Thank you. Can't wait for the fix.

12. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

I just found out one of the coolest feature in Parallels. It's undocumented, but please leave it in the next version. When you are viewing a full-screen vm and you press SHIFT+CMD it switches between using all monitors or using just one. This is so incredibly useful, I'm just afraid that since it's undocumented it might be dropped in the next version.

Anyway to note to keep that feature in?

13. thunder1200

thunder1200 Bit poster

Thanks Brian84! I've been trying to resolve for a few hours off and on.