Parallels Desktop 3 > PIECE OF CRAP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Amber242, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amber242

Amber242 Junior Member

I upgraded right after email from Parallels, but it was WRONG DECISION.

- PD 3 works SLOWER than version 2.5 to me.

- Direct X games DON'T WORK (tried 2 - Battlefield 1942 and Dark Messiah).

- BootCamp partition STILL not available to me.

- AERO interface NOT AVAILABLE, due to SYSTEM RATING in VISTA still FAILS...

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

:mad:

2. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Have you enabled Direct X in the VM config, under video...it is off by default

3. Amber242

Amber242 Junior Member

Of course.

BUT it means SOMETHING that it is DISABLED BY DEFAULT... Developers are aware of limitations??

4. dippyskoodlez

dippyskoodlez Bit poster

There is no other software that does the same. Theres nothing to copy. Virtualization technology in itself is new.

They have a published known working list.

use it. Don't complain if somethings not yet there. Its been published.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/3d/

Here, in case you missed it.

They don't say ALL 3d WORKS FLAWLESSLY, they say some works.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  5. Amber242

Amber242 Junior Member

I am sorry, it was NOT PUBLISHED when I was PAYING!

All what we've seen was flashing "QUAKE 4 IS WORKING - THE END IS NEAR"...

6. dippyskoodlez

dippyskoodlez Bit poster

Its in the list.

Wheres the problem?

Maybe sit back and learn what kind of feat these guys are pulling off before bashing a product that has become available so soon after virtualization itself has been available?

Direct X is not native to OS X, so the fact SOME games are working is AMAZING!

Its a work in progress. Its just progressed enough, to sell to the consumer.

I'm sure they cant stop you from asking for your money back, but its not like theres another product thats leading the way quite like this.

Vmware's fusion is close, but still beta I think. You'll see the exact same results with that.

7. EpsilonPrime

EpsilonPrime Member

Did you set the "DirectX enabled" flag in the video tab?

8. Amber242

Amber242 Junior Member

1. Just read again what I wrote (it is on top). I am not complaining that Q4 is not working.

2. It would be better if "guys" released BETA (as it was before), so people would know what to expect...

3. PD 3 is definitely "not progressed enough".

9. Amber242

Amber242 Junior Member

What's wrong with you people?? I wrote before, that I ENABLED DIRECT X!

YES, IT IS ENABLED.

10. crag

crag Member

That is BS. I didn't see a "list" of "The most popular games" -(NOT) that would work when paying.

Stop making excuses for a company who used false advertising. We were Bs'ed and we all fell for it. Hoping that it would actually work. Last time.

11. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

If you want new games so bad you should use boot camp or buy a pc. Parallels has taken Windows VM to a new level for the mac. In due time it will get better I'm sure just like all the update that have came out to us over the last year. I say we have come a long way.

12. STim

STim Bit poster

Amber242,

Moneyback had never been a problem. Just send a request to our support team via http://www.parallels.com/support/request/ and you get it shortly.

As for the issues you post:
    1. We've been getting different feedback on performance, both being risen and slowed down. We are investigating the issue and will definitely fix it in the closest minor update.
    2. This is just the first version of DirectX support, and it is limited as clearly stated in Release Notes. We are working hard on expanding the list of the games that work fine with Parallels Desktop 3D virtualization engine.
    3. BootCamp issue should be investigated and resolved. You may address our email support to get help with this issue.
    4. Aero requires DirectX 9 while Parallels Desktop provides limited support for DirectX up to version 8.1, as stated in release notes. We are working on DirectX 9 support and should be able to deliver something in one of the upcoming updates.

13. Amber242

Amber242 Junior Member

I sent emails according my BootCamp problem SEVERAL TIMES. I NEVER received any reply. I started a thread here and get some obvious solutions (verify permissions, reinstall etc) , but no one worked. Problem is persistent from 2.5 to 3.0.

I'll definitely ask for refund. Thank you.

14. crag

crag Member

I do run Boot Camp. Whiich, by the way, the promised integration with Boot Camp doesn't work either. ;) It's not what was promised. From their own product page:

"New! Run today’s most popular PC games on a Mac with support for 3D graphics"

Not.

Maybe if they rewrote it to read "Runs selected PC games on a Mac with limited 3D graphics. For a list of currently supported games click here."

There's maybe 20 games on that list. Most are old and not that popular. And many are having problems running even them. And don't get me started on actually PLAYING the games. LOL

This is a joke. A bad one too. I hope new customers read these forums BEFORE buying this product.

15. Quillz

Quillz Junior Member

Did you miss the announcement that said Aero Glass would be supported with a later release, not the very first one? Parallels 3 puts the technological seeds in place, but it will take some time for the whole tree to grow...

16. jvgfanatic

jvgfanatic Member

Yeah the "today's most popular" wording is really going to catch them a piece of people's minds methinks. It is truly misleading. I wonder, if we went to "most popular" lists at any PC game sales site how many of those games would actually be playable. I did read through the games list though and it was pretty sad so honestly I did not expect much. The wording however is 100% misleading in that advertising. Maybe 3.5 or something, but not 3.0.

Edit: And I now see that the "today's most popular" phrasing is getting called out by others. Good. I have absolute respect for the developers on this project. I've run things without a hitch (knock on wood) since day 1 with Parallels. Everything on the non-development side of things though...OMG.

17. crag

crag Member

So do I. And have also used this product for a while. I respect the development side. But the marketing (and support) needs work. And that "wording" will reflect badly on the whole company. The press already knows. And word is already flying around the net. Parallels needs to do something NOW to defuse it before it gets to bad.

18. dippyskoodlez

dippyskoodlez Bit poster

I'm not trying to be offensive, but this post feels like an angry fast food customer yelling and screaming because the coffee is too hot.

This is a HUGE release of a bunch of new features, while it seems rushed, theres a LOT going on.

Mainly, you aren't the only person with bugs.

See the forum? Its full. This is expected when a new program is released.

I'm not blindly defending parallels, People are just all of the sudden deciding to blindly follow all marketing speak, when marketing thrives on twisting words to make things look good.

Maybe try giving things some time to cool down, instead of running around yelling XXX is worthless, don't bother. Its akin to having 5000 people storm the counter at Mcdonalds at exactly 12:00, and complain their food was wrong.

This is exactly why it was a closed beta. They rolled out a TOn of new features, and the forum would just implode on itself from reports.

Instead, they cut down the user base, so the MAJOR most important bugs can have time to be worked out, and then they can continue on to the larger base of users.

It seems a LOT of people are angry with a "closed" beta, but those are usually the people that don't understand WHY a closed beta is used.

Ofcourse, you're welcome to be as angry as you want if it helps you feel better, as a customer you're perfectly capable of going elsewhere. The only other elsewhere right now will be Vmware's fusion, and thats most definatly not going to be perfect either.

So you can call this program a pile of crap, demand a refund, and walk away, but you'll lose everything this program already brings you, and whatever they add in the future.

19. crag

crag Member

Oh please. Stop with the fanboy BS. They messed up. Big time. And they gonna pay for it too. Like I said, word is already flying around the net.

There's a difference between marketing hype and utter bullcrap.

"New! Run today’s most popular PC games on a Mac with support for 3D graphics" [from the Parallels site]

Is bullcrap. Parallels knows there's a huge markte for this. VM knows it too. Don't see them running aorund promising the world and then not coming through. This is vaporware worthy of Microsoft.

20. cbandes

cbandes Junior Member

How can you guys defend this? 3.0 offers no advantages over 2.5 except 3D support, and that support doesn't exist.

Parallels advertised the product thusly:

"New! Run today’s most popular PC games on a Mac with support for 3D graphics"

"2. Play the hottest 3D games!
    OpenGL and DirectX support lets you explore a whole new world of 3D games and applications right on your Mac. "

Those two statements are simply false. Moreover, Parallels KNEW they were false, because they published a list of the handful of (mostly ancient) games that worked. So it isn't even an honest marketing error, it is an obvious bald-faced lie. Further, the list wasn't available when Parallels sold their shoddy "upgrade" to many of their most loyal customers.

This is a simple case of fraudulent advertising and a defective product. Parallels should be ashamed of themselves, and should be issuing refunds as we speak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.