Chrome 20 on Linux Crashing with 3D Acceleration Enabled

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Han-ShenY, Jul 2, 2012.

1. FerdinandG

FerdinandG Bit poster

Interesting. I did as you suggested and disabled the Chrome-builtin flash plugin. Now I can use flash in Chrome without crashing the entire VM. I also have 3D acceleration for the VM enabled now.

However, Parallels should look into this ASAP, as this is still a serious issue. And while this workaround is ok for now,
    who knows what's next.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestion!

2. ewh

ewh Bit poster

For anyone on this thread who hasn't already done it, switching from the Chrome built-in Flash to the system Flash will likely help a lot. However, for those who have switched over to the system Flash, can you navigate to this site without the VM crashing http://abhizweblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/gnome-3-themes-how-to-install-gnome-3.html? It still crashes for me using the system Flash.

Has anyone heard anything from Parallels support whether or not they have been able to reproduce this issue?

Hanna hasn't gotten back to me so I don't know what the status of this issue is within Parallels engineering. Parallels support team doesn't seem to be very communicative.

3. YanaYana

YanaYana

Guys, sorry for delay, we are still investigating this issue. As soon as there is any information regarding it - you will be updated shortly.

4. JaredE

JaredE Junior Member

I am another user experiencing this problem.

Disabling Google Pepper PPAPI and enabling regular flash plugin (done via chrome://plugins) helped stabilize my Ubuntu VM. Popular sites such as cnn.com no longer crashes my entire VM. Man, that was annoying until I stumbled upon this thread!

I greatly prefer Parallels over VMware so hopefully this will get fixed in the next update!

5. ewh

ewh Bit poster

Current Status?

How are people doing using the latest Parallels (7.0.15106) and the latest Chrome (21.0.1180.57)?

I think my VM might be more stable now, but I haven't heard anything explicit from Parallels that this issue has been resolved (either a message from Parallels in this Forum thread or in the release notes for Parallels (7.0.15106).

How are others doing with this issue?

Thanks.

6. juzci

juzci Guest

Hi everyone,
    sorry for delay. Well, we did some 3d-related fixes in this update based on reports I've got from you, guys, so it should get better now. Thanks to everyone for mails once again.

Regards,
    Hanna

7. YanaYana

YanaYana

8. paraNix

paraNix Member

Have the fixes made allowed for Ubuntu 2D or 3D coherence (with the desktop background invisible, as is the case with Windows coherence mode)?