Time warp?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by daj, Jun 8, 2007.

1. daj

daj Member

I'm wondering if I am stuck in a time warp! :)

Last week I received the emailing inviting me to pay for a discounted upgrade to 3.0, which I did immediately - I received an activation key within a few minutes and understood that the product would be available in the coming weeks.

However today I see lots of conversations regarding version 3.0; I have read stories in the press today that the product is released but the only email I had from Parallels today was to say that the product will be available in a few weeks!!!

Is the prodcut out? Why have I not had an email to this effect?

The main question really, do I use the downloadable version from the web site?

Thanks

2. Shidayu

Shidayu Member

Download the "trial" from the website and install it on top of what you have. When you run it, it will prompt you for your license key.

3. daj

daj Member

Thanks -- I've always loved the product but I am a little apprehensive about this installation, but I can't wait to give it a try!

4. Shidayu

Shidayu Member

You may wish to browse through the forums before doing so. Many people have had poor results upgrading their VMs from 2.5, YMMV. My results are positive, but I had no qualms about blasting my VMs and starting from scratch.

5. daj

daj Member

Yes -- I have had a good read! Luckily I'm not that interested in the 3d gaming; surely you would run such games directly on the intended machine/OS rather than try to fake it on a VM. However everyone has their own needs!

I will give it a go and if all else fails I can go back to 2.5 and wait for a 3.0 update

6. Shidayu

Shidayu Member

Do keep in mind that if you upgrade to 3.0 and run your VM, it will no longer work on 2.5. If you wish to have the flexibility to fall back on 2.5, you will need to make a backup of your VM.

7. daj

daj Member

Even if I am booting a Bootcamp partition (which I currently do in 2.5)?

8. Shidayu

Shidayu Member

I am not sure, to be honest. I would assume the worst or find more information before proceeding, though.