Cursor speed in games in VM, Parallels 8, XP

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by agentmith, Sep 10, 2012.

1. agentmith

agentmith Bit poster

I just installed the trial version of the product hoping to use it to play some games, and graphically/sound-wise everything works great, however the cursor speed when running a game is confusing to say the least. The cursor works fine on the guest OS desktop, cursor speed is identical to the host, but when I run a game the cursor speed slows down to around 20%. I'm using the trackpad on a Macbook Air. I've tested with several games, some using the native resolution and others using different resolutions. I tried inside Dosbox as well, and results are the same. Slow to the point of unusable. In one game when trying to quit, it took 4 complete track pad lengths just to move the mouse over to the OK button, for example.

I've tried disabling Crystal Mode, Smart Mouse, and cranked the mouse tracking speed in the Control Panel all the way up to max and nothing has made an improvement or noticeable change at all. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. NathanJ

NathanJ Member

Probably SmartMouse Issue

This is probably a SmartMouse issue. Seems to be one of the early kinks to work out of PD 8. I had this same problem with AutoCAD which hammers the cursor just like a game does.

Try this:
    - Go to virtual machine configuration
    - Go to Options group
    - Select Advanced option in list
    - Change SmartMouse to On
    - While you're there, also check "Optimize modifier keys for games". Basically it just makes Ctrl, Alt, and Shift work properly all the time, particularly in games.

I had to switch it back and forth a couple of times. I probably could have solved it by just rebooting.

3. redski

redski Bit poster

Try connecting the mouse to Windows in Parallels' Devices menu. I posted full instructions in another thread.