Magic Mouse Scrolling Speed With Lion

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jc83, Jul 23, 2011.

1. jc83

jc83 Bit poster

I like many have upgraded to Lion and have noticed that my Windows 7 virtual machine has ridiculously fast scrolling now.

It's manageable if you're on a website but if you're in a CAD application or even Excel it's just not workable.

I am using a Magic Mouse and have attempted to slow the scrolling down under the Windows control panel, but the difference of setting it to the lowest level seems to be negligible. I have also attempted to slow the scrolling in OS X itself to see if that had any effect, but it did not.

Any solution for this?

2. Mr. C.

Mr. C. Member

I don't know if this is an answer for your situation, but you might want to try MagicPrefs available via App store.

3. Dudemanbubba

Dudemanbubba Bit poster

Still looking for a solution for this...

Anyone come up with a solution for this. Trying to scroll is out of control on the windows Autocad side of things.

4. GarciaLLC

GarciaLLC Bit poster

A couple things to try.

1. Universal Access panel under System Preferences has the settings for scrolling speed on the Magic Mouse. Slowing it down will improve Windows scrolling but it may slow down Mac OS X scrolling too much.

2. AutoCAD has a command called ZOOMFACTOR that will adjust zooming speed in the app itself. I have found this to be the better method as it doesn't affect the scrolling under Mac OS X. For reference, I use a zoom factor of 60 on my native windows pc but I have to drop it to 15-20 on my parallels instance.

5. Yourguide

Yourguide Bit poster

Same in Mountain Lion and Parallels 8 in Windows only

I have noticed this also.... I have a magic mouse on my Macbook retina and this odd scrolling behavior is only present in Windows... both Win 7 and Win 8.
    Within Ubuntu the scrolling is smooth like in OSX..... anyone know how to tweak this?
    I tried the accessibility options.... slowing down scroll or turning off inertia... it doesn't seem to help this odd jerky scrolling within Windows.

Edit:

Just tried adjusting the "Wheel" tab settings within Windows.... changed default vertical and horizontal scrolling to 1 line instead of 3. That seems to have helped... it still seems oddly fast... but is more useable now.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  6. Yves_H

Yves_H Bit poster

Bump

Have the same problem, just updated to 10.7.5 (can't go to Mountain Lion due to software incompatibilities). I also changed the "number of lines" in the Windows 7 "Wheel" tab of mouse settings to 1, but do not see any change.
    Excel can be handled somewhat, but scrolling through my 700 Outlook contacts is a pain...

7. NavidH

NavidH Bit poster

Any solutions to this? I have the same issue using Outlook. As mentioned above, I tried setting the Wheel speed to 1 line and it does improve, but its still a pain to work with. Any 3rd party apps out there to try? It's weird that many other things are smooth. For example, scrolling in IE is fine and even the body of a message in outlook. But when I scroll through the list of messages, it extremely fast.

8. serv

serv Forum Maven

If you're on PD9 try un-checking VM Configuration > Hardware > Mouse & Keyboard > Enable smooth scrolling.

9. NavidH

NavidH Bit poster

Yes, I have PD9 and just checked that setting. The Enable smooth scrolling was already checked. I also tried the different options for Smartmouse. Setting it to Always optimize for games made the mouse move really fast and was not usable. Setting it to "Don't optimize for games" made it work the way it has been working. Still same issue in outlook when going throughou the list of messages. Any other suggestions?

10. serv

serv Forum Maven

Try un-checking smooth scrolling, i.e. disabling it. This option can be changed while VM is running.

11. NavidH

NavidH Bit poster

That did it. Thanks.

12. AVchemE

AVchemE Member

That fixed it for me too. Upgraded to PD9 and noticed my scrolling was very slow ... and not really that smooth. Not sure what the option is supposed to do or why it's a default since the implementation doesn't seem to have all the bugs worked out. Anyway, thanks for the help.