Satisfied v.3 Upgrader

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by henryammons, Jun 8, 2007.

1. henryammons

henryammons Bit poster

I downloaded version 3, installed it, had to reinstall the tools manually on my Vista install, but am quite pleased with the results. Parallels works well, and is such an improvement over emulation of years ago! I still have not decided to use boot camp or parallels, but this version may push me over to parallels. VMware looks to be a good product, but I've invested in the Parallels camp and will stick there until something really goes wrong.

Anyone else having a simply positive experience too? I love showing coherence off.

By the way, I couldn't find a cut-off date for the free upgrade. I purchased 2.5 in early April this year and didn't know if I was eligible for the upgrade.

Happy Friday!
    :)

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

I do, I've been using it and the beta's for more then 3 weeks to do some development work and it has been working very well, except for some glitches with mult-monitor support.

But I am confident they will resolve these eventually...

3. Shidayu

Shidayu Member

I am also a very satisfied upgrader. I was not expecting perfection by any stretch, but this release makes many more things work for me, and work pretty darn good. I, of course, wish some of the more graphically-intense games ran/ran better. All in due time.

I can't wait to see what is around the bend. I have a feeling the "holy grail" of near-native performance in all manner of applications isn't too far away.

If you are disappointed at the marketing promises, all one has to do is take a look at the history of virtualization/emulation that we are coming from prior to this release. 3.0 is a great boost in position from the options that were available to the masses.

There is plenty of room for improving upon the concept. Again, all in due time.

4. heafnerj

heafnerj Member

Add me to the list of satisfied customers. So many users have apparently had problems with activiation codes not working, but everything worked perfectly for my upgrade and I'm happy.

5. rkadowns

rkadowns Junior Member

Include me too.

This version addresses desires I had for the product. Sure, I'd like to see it work better in some ways, however it's cutting edge software and will always have room to improve.

6. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Another satisfied upgrader here, two licenses, two computers, three VMs, XP and Vista all good.

7. crag

crag Member

Glad to see 6 people pleased

Out of how many? Look around the boards. LOL

It's not the software that pisses everyone off so much it's the false advertising. If Parallels had said "Limitied 3D support" instead of "the most popular games" most would not be here complaining of being ripped off.

8. kendals

kendals Bit poster

this upgrade definately solved some printing problems that I had and I very much like the option of having the computer as you which environment a detected USB item should operate it. A+ upgrade for me!

9. snodman

snodman Member

My 24" iMac is pretty fast (with the stock 2.16 gz Core 2 Duo) but not close to the 4 core top of the line Mac Pro boxes. Still, with version 3 running in coherence mode and just doing web surfing my CPU cores are running at under 20%. I have no issues with the performance of the new version at all.

10. STim

STim Bit poster

Satisfied people rarely visit support forums :)

I got your point about 3D. I'm sure marketing guys also read this forum...

11. Shidayu

Shidayu Member

Good. I am happy with Parallels 3, but I definitely do agree that some of the features are way overstated in Marketing, beyond anything acceptable. It borders on false advertising.

12. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

It's working fine for me... Had a couple of weird things after the first boot of the VM, but after the install of tools everything seems fine...

I'm just waiting on Aero support now, hopefully they can get it to work fairly soon...

13. iduff

iduff Product Expert

Another happy camper here, too. Nothing too weird, some minor quirks. overall very pleased.

14. Shepherdboy

Shepherdboy Bit poster

Overall happy here as well also.

Very happy to have the Linux Tools.

There are some games that I'd like to play (most notably Pirates, which doesn't work), but I have to admin that my main interest is in business and web development and not gaming. Gaming would be a nice extra that would allow me to delete the Boot Camp partition and regain the 20GB for that partition.

Although, there are things that need work, I really appreciate the visibility in these forums of the Parallels team members.

Shepherdboy

15. Jisi

Jisi Member

Still some rough edges, but

TOOLS FOR LINUX! FINALLY!

Installed flawlessly under Kubuntu.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this!

16. darreln

darreln Member

Same here, installed flawlessly (Vista, Office 2007) and things are swell. No problems to report.

D

17. mcowger

mcowger Member

Happy here too.

18. jnimmo

jnimmo Junior Member

Yup, I'm happy, Parallels just got even more impressive to show off to Windows users, it is incredible when you have a dual monitor setup, just dragging files between the two etc!
    Still waiting for my upgrade key but I know it will be here before the trial expires, so I'm not worried.

19. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

I am SO glad they decided to allow a free upgrade window. I was pretty disappointed when I found out that I would have to pay again when I just paid for the thing at the end of May. Haven't received my key yet though. I've been happy with 3188, and I am sure they'll work out the issues with 3.0

But seriously... "the most popular games?" Meh. I didn't put any faith in that, but maybe all those years in software development made a cynic out of me. :)

20. vdhoopati

vdhoopati Bit poster

I am pleased with Parallels 3.0 but some questions with network adaptor! Internet explorer can not be used as it has no add ins! Can not update or upgrade with microsoft update!