Issues with Mountain Lion and Coherence

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tuwood, Jul 30, 2012.

1. strells

strells Product Expert

Well, now I've upgraded to ML and I'm having similar issues!

If I'm in a Mac OS X application and click a hidden Parallels window or the taskbar (Windows 7 VM), it will switch to Parallels but the windows of the VM do not come to the front. Sometimes I'll click a window and the window will come forward but the taskbar will not. Clicking a hidden taskbar will sometimes make it pop momentarily to the front, but then it jumps back again.

I do not have Crystal mode enabled.

Steve

2. RussB1

RussB1 Bit poster

Display Issues

Having the same issues with windows being hidden underneath other windows, not coming to the front when clicked on the Windows task bar, mouse clicks sometimes not recognized (i.e., unable to select a word when double-clicking, clicking in a document does not move the cursor there, etc.). This has all been since the upgrade to Mountain Lion in Coherence mode. Crystal mode is disabled.

3. I have noticed plenty of issues too

I typically use Coherence but sometimes just startup in Window mode. many times I experience smaller DPI when it starts in Windows. I try and use full screen with Windows and the desktop does not resize with the Windows. Also as people have said. Coherence mode has its issues, mine have been with Start menu coming and going, Google Chrome issues and Windows Update issues when they require a restart sometimes not all background services stop correctly and have to force quit. But after using Parallels since version 3 I can honestly say its about par for the course with a Virtual
    environment and OS X. For me these little quirks don't bother me much. As long as IE or Chrome work and I can get some PDF's to launch and a couple e mail sent off I am good. I am stuck working for a company who is married to IE and its my choice to run Windows in Parallels vs BootCamp. Although I have to say if you want pure Windows power then BootCamp will obviously be a bit more stable. Those of us who simple want convenience use Parallels. I am hoping a few updates come around soon to help these problems. For me, Meh, it runs!

4. AndreO

AndreO Bit poster

Delay in switching between windows

Same issue as most on this thread. When in coherence mode there is a delay when tabbing between windows within the same application or between applications. I'm using ALT-TAB or selecting from the windows bar - same issue.

This is VERY unproductive and should be easy to fix - Parallels - why so quiet on this issue?!

I turned off Crystal mode, no change.

5. Musketskier

Musketskier Bit poster

ML and Parallels: flickering cursor AND network issues

After upgrading to ML, my PD7 behaved as described many times above. I also experienced a much worse issue with my outlook 2010 (in the VM Win7) must have done something with the network connectivity as the net result was my ending up with my Outlook account locked up.
    The helpdesk got it it unlocked and it worked for another hour, then locked again.
    Some network engineer traced my account lock to some 'hammering' from my MBP against the domain controllers and circle them until they cut my access off.

This took several days, where i was looking for solutions on the web to no avail and keeping my VM open to a minimum time. All email and calendar work through iPad. In short a highly disrupted time.

I just have had to restore to Lion from a TimeMachine bakup (now that worked a treat) and I am now back to a workable environment.

Has anyone else experienced these network issues? If there is a solution, I might go back to ML and use the VM in full screen.

Thanks in advance.

6. RLW317

RLW317 Bit poster

ML and Outlook 2007

Having the same issues with windows being hidden underneath other windows, not coming to the front when clicked on the Windows, mouse clicks sometimes not recognized or recognized on the windows behind. This has all been since the upgrade to Mountain Lion in Coherence mode. Crystal mode is disabled.
    Especially when several messages from MS Outlook are open.

7. ddeatoniv

ddeatoniv Bit poster

Same issue. Is it fixed in Parallels 8 at least?

I am having the same issue as everyone else here. Is it at least fixed in Parallels 8? Does anybody know?

8. RLW317

RLW317 Bit poster

ML and Outlook 2007

The issue below did not get resolved with version 8. Same after upgrade.

Having the same issues with windows being hidden underneath other windows, not coming to the front when clicked on the Windows, mouse clicks sometimes not recognized or recognized on the windows behind. This has all been since the upgrade to Mountain Lion in Coherence mode. Crystal mode is disabled.
    Especially when several messages from MS Outlook are open.

9. KerryW

KerryW Bit poster

Upgrade to 8

Also having this issue and update to latest version of 8 does not help. In fact Mt Lion upgrade has resulted in Paralells in coherence being almost unusable for me due to a variety of issues.

10. Smudge2

Smudge2 Member

I have the same issue as everyone else. I've always had Crystal Mode disabled. I only use a single desktop but I do have multiple monitors. The only option for me is to stick with Windowed mode. :(

I just submitted a problem report (ID 18058716) and a support ticket [Parallels #1472723]. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

FOLLOWUP: So, their [canned] reply is that they are aware of the issue and are working on it. He also pointed me to a useless KB article Application windows in Coherence do not come to front after upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion.

Oh well. Perhaps some day their product will do as advertised.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  11. Eli104

Eli104 Bit poster

Pfffttt... so now I see this issue. What a pain. I hope this isn't a scheme to get everyone to upgrade to Parallels 8 (since I passed on the early upgrade). Not being able to ALT-Tab in Windows is a real pain. I use this hundreds of times a day. Now I'll have to call and talk with Parallels again and get the same line of dribble as everyone else. If anything changes for anyone, please post!!

12. Fabulous Silicon

Fabulous Silicon Bit poster

I'm also experiencing this same problem. Being that there's no work-around, an update and an ETA would be very much appreciated.

13. ABorso

ABorso Bit poster

Same issue here as well. Their "Work Around" is laughable at best.

WHEN CAN WE EXPECT A FIX! This has clearly been a documented issue in this forum since July 30, 2012.

14. KariSK

KariSK Junior Member

I must add my voice to this thread. I've been suffering exactly the same problems since upgrading to ML. I wish I hadn't.

I upgraded to Parallels 8 and it helped a bit with the hidden windows issue. Also, I allocated more of my 16 MB RAM to my virtual machine (Windows 7, 32 bit), as Parallels 8 (or is it ML) allows you to allocate more. I also allocated more CPUs to the virtual machine (3 out of 4). Obviously the Mac part is now a bit slower, but I only really use it for Mail and browsing; my memory-hungry applications are in Windows.

I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 7 64 bit, but some people say it's better, others say it will be slower as more memory-hungry. ???

My whole Mac/Parallels experience is nothing like as enjoyable under ML as it was under Lion. Everything was smoother and faster then. Quite apart from the fact that ML has messed about with apps like Preview.

Parallels: when will these issues be resolved? I just want things to be how they used to be!

15. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Guys, I see at least five issues described in this thread. Let's be specific -
    1. What is the exact issue
    2. Which version of Parallels are you on
    3. What are the versions of Mac OS X and Windows
    4. Reproduce the problem, hit Help > Report a Problem and post the ID here

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  16. KariSK

KariSK Junior Member

Windows not coming to front, Windows taskbar visible

I am using Mountain Lion with Parallels 8 and Windows 7.

My specific issues since upgrading from Lion and Parallens 7 with Windows 7:

- windows don't come readily to the front when activated
    - a 'pin on top' app that I use in Windows does not always stay pinned on top and makes a distorted ghost image over the underlying window
    - the Windows taskbar often appears at the bottom of the screen when Parallels opens on startup, and stays there.

None of these issues happened before I upgraded to ML and Parallels 8.

Kari

17. grassflats2

grassflats2 Bit poster

I have a new iMac, newly installed Parallels 8 and Windows 8. In coherence mode the start screen fills the entire 27 inches. The desktop tile is gray and clicking on it closes the start screen. I have tried every keystroke combo suggested and cannot get the start screen to decrease in size. I am new to all of this. When I am NOT in coherence mode, I get a normal desktop window that can be controlled. When switching back to coherence I get an unusable full screen Windows 8 start screen. I don't get it.

18. robjon

robjon Bit poster

Same for me, desktop tile is greyed out. I am also have issues with windows applications not always coming to the front when opened. Seems to happen when run a couple of windows apps

19. grassflats2

grassflats2 Bit poster

Can anyone address this issue with coherence and Parallels 8 with Windows 8? Parallels support has not exactly been overwhelming.

20. miesemer

miesemer Bit poster

Parallels 8 build 8.0.18354
    Host OS: OS X 10.8.3
    Guest OS: Win 7 64-bit
    Hardware: MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz, 16 GB Ram, running laptop display and two external displays
    Problem: In coherence mode mouse clicks frequently do not register in the guest OS. Most often I see this in Visual Studio 2010. Another possibly related issue is selected guest OS windows do not come to the front without clicking a host OS window and then reselecting the guest OS application window. I am not using Crystal Mode. I have removed and reinstalled Parallels Tools without any improvement.

I upgraded to Parallels 8 when I upgraded to Mountain Lion, however, prior to the upgrades I did not have these issues. It its current state, it is severely affecting my daily work and I'm really not looking forward to the alternatives of building another development machine on a pc platform or building another VM in another vendor's product.