Maximizing Windows app screen on mac display causes screen to "disappear"

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by joeldr, Sep 5, 2012.

1. joeldr

joeldr Bit poster

Weird behavior that I can't figure out.

Running Windows 7 VM in Parallels Desktop 8
    2011 Macbook Pro (Snow Leopard) with External Monitor
    Running in Coherence mode.

1) Open a Windows application on external monitor. Double click title bar or use typical methods to maximize.
    Result: works as expected

2) Drag this window onto the macbook display screen. Try maximize again.
    Result: Window collapses to a narrow vertical bar appearing on the edge of the external monitor. You cannot grab it, drag it, anything.

To get it back I have to do something like exit coherence, or Hide/Show application windows.

Am I just not supposed to do that? :)

2. TakeCtrl

TakeCtrl Bit poster

Same problem

I'm having the same problem here... I tried it with two VM's Windows 7 and Windows 8 RTM, both have the same problem... I ended up having to full screen the VM to one of my monitors and stay out of coherence until it's fixed.

(also, if you accidentally maximize a window in coherence and need to get it back, you can press alt+spacebar and then "R" to restore the window even if it isn't visible, as long as it still has focus)

3. joeldr

joeldr Bit poster

Thanks for the tip about getting the window back. I'm starting to think that as neat as coherence sounds, for development it's just too distracting.

4. TakeCtrl

TakeCtrl Bit poster

Yeah, I agree... A lot of websites I use requie ASPX in IE, so it's a bit frustrating... I've also determined that if you change the default monitor for the Windows VM while it's in Coherence, that will also change which monitor maximizing works on. I have 3 monitors and maximizing Windows applications will only work on the primary monitor (according to the VM), no matter which one that is.