SSH to Ubuntu VM

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by WesleyB, Jul 17, 2009.

1. WesleyB

WesleyB Bit poster

I'm trying to ssh into my Ubuntu 8.10 VM and can't seem to get it to work. I can't ssh to the IP address I get from ifconfig within the VM or the address I see on my host Mac. Both of those go nowhere when I ping them. Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing here so does anyone have any suggestions?

2. MG_work

MG_work Member

Other people can give you a more detailed and educated answer. However:

Yes, you can do this. I'm currently using Ubuntu 8.04 and have done this in both Parallels 4 & 3.
    Not certain what the most crucial details are, but my Linux VM is set up to use Bridged networking;
    my Parallels preferences are set to Connection Type: Shared Networking and Enable DHCP Server: checked;
    within Linux, my Network Settings are set to Configuration: Automatic configuration (DHCP) and that 's it.

Since noone's replied in several days, I hope that helps.

3. a2m1n

a2m1n Bit poster

I am trying to SSH into my Ubuntu Vm with no luck - am i missing something ? i'm on the way to setting up ubuntu VM for lamp server test's on my Mac mini Server 10.6.5 server. shouldnt i be able to ssh and ftp and even load webpages off the VM in Paralles 6 ?

4. MG_work

MG_work Member

ssh, ftp, html

a2m1n: Yes, you can do all of that. What I listed before is what you need to enable within Parallels. In addition, your Ubuntu needs to have ssh, ftp, and a web server (apache) enabled. I'm not the best person to describe to you how to enable everything on your web server, I usually deal with servers after they've been set up. But it's not a Parallels issue -- you just need to get Ubuntu set up and providing the services you want to use, make sure Parallels is set up as described above (or in another configuration that provides network access), and run ifconfig within Ubuntu to get your VM's IP address.

5. John King

John King Bit poster

My setup that is working

I can't make any guarantees but here's how I run.

Parallels 7 Desktop, on Windows 7< latest flavor >
    Ubuntu 12.04 server

Network set at Bridged and Default adapter, with DHCP on.

I did have to do a apt-get install ssh and after that. I could use putty to ssh in.

Now, If I could only get P-Tools to install so I don't have to use my command keys to move out of the window in the real VM. But with putty running ssh, that is no longer an issue.

Hope it works

John

6. shanjoyb

shanjoyb Member

Please make sure that you can ping your guest os. Then configure the Ubuntu 12.04 server ssh then you can try ssh from you guest os. You can also use third party ssh tools like putty.

Thanks [​IMG]