Parallels 3.0 and game compatibility...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Shaun666, Feb 16, 2007.

1. pejoka

pejoka Bit poster

Make DirectX checked by default

I recommend that Parallels set the DirectX on by default in the next build. AND, make the setting easier to find. Even knowing it was there took me a while to locate!

MacBook-2GB-10.4.9-Build4142-XPsp2

2. dan537

dan537 Junior Member

I did have it turned on. I had the same symptoms as you trying to run it in Windowed mode. I would love to remove Boot Camp if someone can get FFXI running. I'm going to take another shot at it tonight.

3. pejoka

pejoka Bit poster

I am also really interested in getting RealFlight 3.5 to work under Parallels (apparently it works fine under BootCamp 1.2, and presumably 1.3). I too got this error at first, but sure enough the DirectX checkbox option (under VM configure:Video tab) was not checked by default, and it needs to be for the graphics to work. After turning on DirectX the simulator did start up, and got to the plane on the runway with sound and motion but immediately threw up an error saying something was incompatible with the HAL and will fail... 3 secs later the program crashed. At least there is hope... someone from Paralells probably needs to look at the specifics though. Maybe it will get fixed along with all of the other problems with games. It just has to be one of the major markets for Parallels, though, wouldn't ya think?

MacBook-2GB-10.4.9-build 4124-XPsp2

4. Shepherdboy

Shepherdboy Bit poster

I've been able to run Pirates without crashes. However, it runs too slowly to be playable.

Direct X enabled in Parallels
    Patched-up Win XP SP2
    Latest Parallels 4124
    MacBook Pro 15" Core Duo, 2GB RAM
    OS X 10.4.8

Shepherdboy

5. AlanH

AlanH Pro

I'm guessing evanhatesspam is another user who hasn't turned on DirectX support in the VM video config options.

6. dandiemer

dandiemer Bit poster

why not run the mac version of joost.

7. lanceweber

lanceweber Bit poster

Hmm, yeah I'm not sure who got the better experience...okay, let's face it, we're debating who lost worse :)

No harm is asking, you never know when someone has missed the obvious! But in this case I do have it checked. I presume you're the same AlanH who moderates the Mac section on CivFanatics? I lurk there frequently *wave*!

8. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Hmm! Might be :rolleyes:

9. crag

crag Member

*waves*

So tell me have you gotten Civ4 to run?

10. bconnolly01

bconnolly01 Bit poster

I just installed EA Sports FIFA 07 and way too stuttery to use ... (directx option selected)

11. AlanH

AlanH Pro

I haven't even tried. I don't even have Civ4 for Windows, as I refuse to dual boot.

I wasn't at all surprised to learn that it won't run in Parallels. It has crazy graphics demands for a turn based strategy game, and matching those in a virtualized environment will not be easy. I certainly didn't fall for the hype and drop $40 for v3 on the off-chance that it might. I'll wait and see.

12. scudderfish

scudderfish Bit poster

I can't even get HL2 to give me more than 0.5fps at 800x600 with the -dxlevel 70 option. I only upgraded because I was led to believe I could play HL2 on it. I want a refund.
    :mad:

13. benaddict

benaddict Bit poster

I find it slightly amusing that the video on the Parallels site and the webpage vaunts World of Warcraft as one of the games you can now run through virtualisation. Why not just run the Mac native version?

14. Stadsport

Stadsport Bit poster

MacBook 2ghz Core 2 Duo with 2GB ram.
    Ragnarok Online: Runs best in windowed mode, runs full speed with high settings, but walls don't render no matter what. I'll tinker with it some more.
    Guild Wars: Must run in -dx8 mode or almost nothing shows. Very low framerate with some rendering problems.

15. supagold

supagold Bit poster

City of Heroes works, but it requires some tweaking - here's how I got it working:

1) Edit the City of Heroes shortcut. Add -compatiblecursors 1 in the Target Box. Under the Compatibility tab, set compatibility to Windows 2000.

2)Download the TweakCOH tool. Use it to set City of Heroes to run windowed. I also turned down the graphical options in here.

I just got it working with these settings. Probably some of them aren't necessary, and I'll be testing to see what I can turn back on. If anyone is interested in my results or has questions, send me a PM. I'm getting decent preformance with a 1600x1000 window on my MBP 17".

Edit:

Windowing isn't necessary to get the game to run, after all. However, at 1680x1050 (MBP 2.13 Core Duo, X1600), I'm getting about 10 FPS with all graphical options turned down/off. Even throwing Rendering Scale all the way down only gets me to about 15 FPS full screen.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  16. Da_Brain

Da_Brain Junior Member

17. myflyertrains

myflyertrains Bit poster

Microsoft Train Simulator Installs, but then when launched says that there is no hardware 3d acceleration. Darn!

18. AlanH

AlanH Pro

@Da_Brain & myflyertrains: Did you enable DirectX in the VM video settings?

(I need to get a record made of this question!)

19. tomlewellen@mac.com

tomlewellen@mac.com Bit poster

Another game for the list - Myst URU

MYST Uru (Complete Chonicles) launches the setup tool OK, but when you go on to play the game, it plays the usual sounds for the startup screens (broken up, but their), shows the progress bars for the initial loads, then ends up with a black screen with the white cursor.

So, it also is not yet able to be played with this initial release.

20. Da_Brain

Da_Brain Junior Member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007