Parallels 8 - COMPLETELY FRUSTRATED

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bruce Carillon, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Bruce Carillon

Bruce Carillon Member

Arghhh...

1) Network connection constantly dropping within the VM while the host is just fine
    2) MBP with Retina display screen resolution anomolies
    3) Half the time the VM won't shutdown when told to

Are there not others having issues with v8? v7 was fine for me and all of these problems started happening with v8 since I wanted the Retina display compatibility. Looks like I should have saved my money and stayed on v7.

How about VMWare Fusion... may have to give it a try before downgrading to v7.

2. Early adoptors beware

Well I used to be a early adoptor too. Rsuhing out to save a few bucks on that early Parallels anual upgrade. But after
    what I went through with P7 I said absolutely no more early adopting for me. The reviews for Parallels 8 were mostly positive so I wonder why all of a sudden we are seeing way more unhappy Parallel 8 users? Maybe its because Apple just had a pretty big Mountain Lion update? Whatever the case I guess I'll wait for the bugs to get worked out.
    So far I have not found anything in Parallels 8 that I cannot live without.

3. As I think about and re read your problems. I would guess maybe some of your issues are directly related to the Macbook Pro you have. Of all the problems I have read. I would say a lot of them have to do with the retina model.
    Just the fact that display has way different hardware then a typical Macbook Pro is going to create issues with third party stuff not working right. While it may be a great design and ideal. I think your a minority right now and because its the only Mac with a retina display. I think even Apple is working bugs out of it. You have become the beta tester of beta testers. I would call a tech with Parallels and hopefully work out some of the issues.

4. Bruce Carillon

Bruce Carillon Member

Thanks for the replies... yes I realize a Retina MBP is a minority etc. but Parallels claims Retina support and while it works it's not ideal IMO.

5. Agreed it certainly is

I can tell you from using Parallels since version 3 that they often overstate compatibility over it working perfectly.
    Not sure but I think Virtual software is never precise and has its share of fundamental issues trying to run a different OS inside software that operates in yet another OS. I am no programmer but its amazing it works as well as it does.
    Personally I just think Apple changing OS X every 12 to 18 months just leads to third party software always playing catch up and its especially true with a virtual machine which relies so much on working with two completely different operating systems at the same time. Am I sticking up or making excuses for Parallels? Absolutely not.
    I think if they say Parallels works with retina displays then that's just what it should do. I also think that Parallels needs way better support for such a complex beast as virtual software. Given the fact that some tweaking is always possible.Their should be a better system to inform and instruct on how to fix an issue. This reminds me of the Linux forums where you have a couple of experienced users trying to help a whole bunch of newbies.

6. millix

millix Junior Member

Solving Retina woes

I found this app (RDM.app) to completely solve all my "retina" woes... install this, run it, and just set the resolution to the native display resolution (2880x1800) and everything JUST WORKS. None of the HiDPI complications. ALL APPS JUST WORK, they just think they are on a big display.

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/vi9yf/set_your_retina_macbook_pros_resolution_to/

I'm using this with Parallels 7 for Mac and it's been just fine. (I keep running into other issues though... P7 stability is still a concern with me).