disable minimized windows appears to dock

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BerkunM, Aug 30, 2012.

1. BerkunM

BerkunM Bit poster

Hi, i have Parallels 8 with Mountain Lion. I want to disable to show minimized windows in dock. I'm using windows 7, when i minimized any window in windows 7, its showing in dock, i want to disable it, how can i do? Thanks.

2. RonPop

RonPop Member

I'm also looking for a solution to this. Well, I was until I downgraded back to 7; now I'm just waiting for them to fix all these little bugs. You'd think it would obey the OS X preferences and minimize to dock only if it's in your global preferences.

3. KrishnaD

KrishnaD Bit poster

This sucks. Why does Parallels minimize Windows applications to the Dock in Coherence mode when OS X itself does not?

Also, I can still see the Task bar and applications when I press F6. The whole point was to hide Parallels and thereby all applications.

Downgrade, it is *sigh*

4. RonPop

RonPop Member

Wait, here's the fix!

Open the virtual machine bundle (right click -> show package contents), open the config.pvs file, find DoNotMinimizeToDock and set it to 1.

5. KrishnaD

KrishnaD Bit poster

Thanks Ron, but it didn't work.

<DoNotMinimizeToDock>1</DoNotMinimizeToDock>

6. RonPop

RonPop Member

Funny, I have two Macs and this worked on one and not the other. It looks like the difference was Crystal mode. If you enable Crystal mode, it *should* minimize to dock.

Definitely seems like it's a bug in Parallels 8, but...

7. reedmj

reedmj Member

Changing DoNotMinimizeToDock to 1 didn't help me either. I have no sharing turned on with application, and Modality is also not turned on. I am using Coherence with the WinXP taskbar showing, which is where I want all 100+ windows for my applications that are minimized to go. It looks ridiculous with 100 apps minimized to the mac dock!!

HELP PARALLELS

8. RonPop

RonPop Member

Check in your Coherence configuration screen and make sure Crystal is enabled. That did it for me on two different machines.

Coherence without Crystal will minimize to dock, no matter what DoNotMinimizeToDock is set to.

Coherence with Crystal and DoNotMinimizeToDock set to 1 will NOT minimize to dock.

9. reedmj

reedmj Member

Thank you, that's a little better, although that puts the shared applications from windows open in the mac dock. Basically I have have about 10 apps x 10 windows in each app open, so this puts an extra 10 items in the mac dock instead of 100. Definitely better, but still not as nice as previous versions of parallels where nothing would appear in the dock.

10. RonPop

RonPop Member

Glad it helped a little. I didn't know that previous versions let you hide the apps entirely from the Mac dock. I hope they re-enable that as I'd like to try it myself.

I'm not in a position to try it right now, but I wonder if changing the AppInDock setting in the VM's config.pvs file would help? It might be worth changing it to 1 or 2 and seeing what happens.

11. reedmj

reedmj Member

hmm nope that didn't help either. Parallels is calling me within an hour so they can take a look at it. I'll report back if they have a solution.

12. reedmj

reedmj Member

Support couldn't figure it out, they've escalated to "level 2" and will contact me within 24h.

Sort of annoying, my PD7 was working perfectly until I upgraded to ML, then I started to have this issue (http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=261520&page=3) in coherence. I upgraded to PD8 and dropped the $50 to get that error to go away, which now I'm not sure if it has since I'm unable to use coherence at all in this version.

13. reedmj

reedmj Member

48 hours later and a reminder on the ticket by me and still no response from "level 2" support.

sigh...

14. RiX

RiX Junior Member

Hum, Hum !!!
    Parallels support WTF are you doing ???
    You had enough time to fix this !!!
    We all paid 50$ for this shitty upgrade,

and we either downgrade to 7
    or have a shitty coherence environment !!!

We don't want the windows apps in the DOCK !!!
    PLEASE GIVE US BACK THIS OPTION !!!

FIX THIS !!!!

15. YanaYana

YanaYana

Hello Guys,

I have passed this information to development team and they have started the investigation. In order to fix it faster however we need some problem reports. Would you please send the report from the Help menu and post the report ID here?

16. YanaYana

YanaYana

Actually this misbehaviour has been just fixed and the fix is going to be included in one of the nearest updates. Thank you so much for reporting

17. reedmj

reedmj Member

Ok, when? A week has gone by and I'm refreshing this thread multiple times a day hoping the fix has arrived.

18. YanaYana

YanaYana

no ETA, sorry. The update will popup itself if you have an automatic updates set up in preferences, and i cannot guarantee it will appear in the _next_ update - but in one of the nearest updates