keyboard modifiers don't work using synergy

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by asolochek, Jul 14, 2012.

1. asolochek

asolochek Bit poster

I thought I'd give parallels a try after using vmware for years. My computer setup has my mac running a synergy client with my linux box as the synergy server. This works perfectly fine with vmware fusion, but with parallels the guest OS (windows 7 pro, in my case) gets no keyboard modifiers at all. This could well be a synergy bug, but since it works with vmware, I was hoping someone here had a way to make it work with parallels, since I would love to be able to give parallels a real try.

-Aaron

2. Jake_S

Jake_S Bit poster

I've tried to find a workaround for this by using different versions of Synergy (client and server), to no avail. Also ShareMouse seems to have exactly the same issue, which tends to point to a bug in Parallels Desktop, not in Synergy.

This bug is incredibly frustrating, and while there are numerous threads about it both here and on Synergy's bug tracker, there don't seem to be any definitive solutions.

I'm running Parallels Desktop 7.0.

Thanks,
    -Jake

3. chuckkahn

chuckkahn Junior Member

4. Jake_S

Jake_S Bit poster

Yes, that looks like it. Thanks for the link.

5. DoronR

DoronR Bit poster

So you guys are getting mouse events to work fine in Parallels Desktop? Host OSX, guest is linux and the synergy server is on windows. I can click into the guest and keyboard works but the mouse doesn't work in the guest.

6. chuckkahn

chuckkahn Junior Member

Mouse works on mine.

Server: 1.4.10 (Mac OS 10.5.6) Client: 1.4.10 (Mac OS 10.8.2) VM: Windows 7 SP1 under Parallels 8.0.18101

7. DoronR

DoronR Bit poster

Hmm, could be something with linux then.

8. Jake_S

Jake_S Bit poster

No Linux involved on my side. Client=Mac OS X 10.7, Server=Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Guest OS is Windows 7.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  9. PhamCan

PhamCan Bit poster

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  10. chuckkahn

chuckkahn Junior Member

Working in version 8.0.18305.811918

Keyboard modifiers seem to work in the latest Parallels update.

11. Jake_S

Jake_S Bit poster

It would be great if this fix got ported back to 7.x. I'm very reluctant to pay $50 for the upgrade when I have no intention of running Win8 anytime soon, and as best I can tell that's the only important new feature. :(

12. chuckkahn

chuckkahn Junior Member

I bought version 7 five days before 8 was released so I got a free upgrade. I wish I could recall what was different in my brief usage of 7 before switching to 8, but I'm glad to have it for Windows 7.

13. Jake_S

Jake_S Bit poster

Sadly I didn't qualify for the free update.

14. RandolphC

RandolphC Bit poster

I upgraded to version 9 of parallels, and then installed Synergy having never used it before. I am having the same issue that supposedly was fixed in version 8. Can't find any clues elsewhere as to settings that should be tweaked to make it work, so please help. Same as prior issues: modifiers work fine on the mac side, not on the windows side (either in coherence or full screen) and having no issues with the mouse. Mac version is 10.8 Mountain lion, NOT yet on Maverick.

thanks

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  15. RichardD19

RichardD19 Bit poster

For anyone who stumbles upon this in the future, here is the response I received from Parallels support, which solved the issue for me in Parallels 14 (I ran the commands while the VM was shut down, but I don't know whether it makes a difference):

To resolve the issue please, open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and execute the following commands:

defaults write 'com.parallels.Parallels Desktop' 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergy"
    defaults write 'com.parallels.Parallels Desktop' 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergyc"