PD8 Insists on setting resolution to 3840x2400

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JoacimB, Oct 7, 2012.

1. JoacimB

JoacimB Junior Member

Doesn't matter what VM I'm running, tested both W8 & XP.
    Worked earlier, this suddenly appeared without any apparent reason.

Each time I launch one of my VMs they default to 3840x2400. I go and change that, but next time I reboot/suspend the 3840x2400 resolution is back. Quite annoying.

Earlier the highest resolution was 2800x1800 as it should.

Enable full resolution is Checked.
    Optimize Windows for full resolution is NOT checked.

PD 8.0.18.01
    MBP Retina
    Mountain Lion 10.8.2

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

You've most probably set OS X Display resolution to Scaled: More space (1920x1200).

3. JoacimB

JoacimB Junior Member

Yep, that was the reason! Thanks!

But I still think this is a bug and need to be able to run Scaled in OS X and full resolution under my VMs.

A fix from Parallels would be nice.

/J

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

When you change display resolution, applications obey that exact resolution, no guessing needed here. Retina enabled applications are required to render 4x pixels in stretched modes. So, 1920x1200 results in 3840x2400 in guest. If you disable Full resolution, the guest will run at 1920x1200.

5. JoacimB

JoacimB Junior Member

I'm sure.

But why isn't my changes in the VM respected?

It should adhere to whatever I've set in the VM. PD8 resets to the "wrong" resolution each time I reboot or suspend.

Tested both in Windows 8 & XP.

Thanks!

/J

6. serv

serv Forum Maven

Normally, dynamic resolution logic tries to keep guest resolution and window/full screen size in sync, effectively adjusting for best settings.
    What you can do is to change Virtual Machine > Configuration > Options > Full Screen > 'Scale to fit screen' option to 'Keep ratio' or Scaled. This will disable resolution adjustments in full screen across suspend/resume and reboot sequences.

7. Paul Batum

Paul Batum Bit poster

The provided answer does not work for me. My problem is as follows:

1. I am using a 15" MBP with Retina
    2. I am using a standard external monitor (native resolution 1920x1200)
    3. I am able to configure everything as I like it:
    - My Windows desktop is extended across both screens
    - The resolution of both screens is set to 2800x1800 in Windows
    - Parallels sets my DPI to 200% and everything looks great
    4. Things go wrong when I unplug my external monitor to take my laptop to a meeting, and then go to plug it back in later. When I plug the external monitor back in, it will default to a non ideal resolution - either 3840x2400 or 1024x768, depending on which of the full screen scaling options I specified. I have tried all four settings and none of them will remember the resolution I set for the external monitor when I plug it back in.

It would be really great if there was a config setting I could specify somewhere which just lets me explicitly set the resolution I want each Windows screen to run in, and that this setting was always used instead of some attempt to magically pick the right resolution.