Unable to change default printer

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rgrcpajr, May 24, 2012.

1. rgrcpajr

rgrcpajr Junior Member

I am using Parallels 7 on a MAC. Windows XP is my virtual machine. I cannot change the default printer in Windows. It is locked on an HP laserjet. The other printer is a Lexmark 901Pro connected via USB. This printer prints in Windows if I select it. BUT, the Lex won't scan in Windows. It will scan from the MAC. The Lex support says I have to make the Lex the default printer in order to get the scan to function. In the Printers part of the control panel, the HP is checked as default. I go to the Lex in the printer list and click on "make default". Nothing happens. The HP remains the default printer. Why?

2. rgrcpajr

rgrcpajr Junior Member

Never mind

I figured it out. I had to go into my MAC and change the default printer to the LEX. In so doing, the default designation as the HP disappeared and the Lex is now the default printer. So much for that.

3. mgkahn

mgkahn Bit poster

But......

....what if you want the PC default printer to be DIFFERENT than was is set as the default printer on the Mac side? I can't figure that out. I want to use FinePrint as the default printer on the PC side but I cannot set it. It always defaults to whatever is set as the default on the Mac side. FinePrint shows up in the PC printer's list. I just can't set it as the default printer on the PC side. Any ideas?

4. robinkaspar

robinkaspar Member

I'm also having this problem, but for me I can't just change the printer on the Mac side. Reason being is that I want to change my default to CutePDF which is a Windows-only app.

I am running Win7 under Parallels 7 and OS X Lion.

5. JDubhe

JDubhe Bit poster

go to virtual machine | configure | hardware | print and then uncheck "synchronize default printer"

6. mgkahn

mgkahn Bit poster

Above suggestions works!

Thank you for pointing me to this solution. I can report to the forum that it works. I can now make Fineprint my default printer and then have Fineprint spool to the physical printer.