moving parallels to external hard drive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by androcci, Oct 3, 2012.

1. androcci

androcci Bit poster

i installed parallels and transferred my windows pc files and windows 7 proffesional to my parallels software. the thing is that i cant get to install and run parallels from an external hard drive. i have both a WD passport and a WD book and none of them worked. the passport is fat and theother is mac os journalism extended something idk. can someone help me on how to do it in a step by step guide?

and my other question is i have a macbook pro with retina display and i had 11gb of memory ram read and like 1gb inactive. since i installed parallels i have i have 7.8gb innactive and only 2.5gb ready. wires about 4.3gb. do you guys know how to get rid of the innactive part or what is that even mean? im evaluating parallels but if i dont like it i might go the other way.

and running like a mac or like a pc? which one is better efficiently talking and in performance? which one takes up less and ram and cpu usage? anyone?

thanks!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. Stefan P

Stefan P Member

I have my VM running on an external hdd for years. Just format them as a OS X disk and move the VM to it. That's it.

spachner

3. androcci

androcci Bit poster

i finally did it!! im so happy i formatted to ex-FAT format and worked. im running parallels from an external hard rive. im just really pissed that when i contacted parallels customer support chat they told me that couldn't be done. L0L failure.