How do you purge the list of previously referenced resources?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Bidit, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Bidit

Bidit Bit poster

I am using Parallels Desktop 7 on my MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3).

I created several VMs using ISO images. These VMs, their enclosing folders and image files no longer exist but Parallels keeps on showing these nonexistent resources in selection menus.

For example, Parallels Desktop > Preferences > General (Tab) has the "Virtual Machines Folder" drop-down menu. Here I get a list of every VM folder used. These folders don't exist and clicking on them brings up the pop-up: The folder ... does not exist. I would like to know how to purge this list.

Another example, Devices > CD/DVD1 > Configure brings up the Configuration pane. Clicking on the "Connect To" drop-down menu brings up a list of Physical CD/DVD Drives and Image Files. The Image Files list includes every image file mounted. These image files do not exist. How can I remove the nonexistent images from the list?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. YanaYana

YanaYana

Actually very interesting question. Will get back to you with possible solution

3. YanaYana

YanaYana

Here is what i've got:

history can be cleared by removing all FileDevSelectorWidget entries from com.parallels.Parallels Desktop.plist

the reason why we not clear them is that a file may appear later e.g. after mounting an external source.

4. BradDye

BradDye Bit poster

Please Clarify

I don't understand. Am I supposed to edit this plist file or delete the whole file and start over. I am not a programmer.

5. YanaYana

YanaYana

Just open file with any text editor and remove the section stated above. Than save the file. You can make a backup in case you are not sure if you can make any mistakes. It is not a programmin g- just remove the section from the text document.

6. Bidit

Bidit Bit poster

Worked like a charm. Thanks Yana.

7. YanaYana

YanaYana

Great i'm glad it helped

8. tgilles

tgilles Bit poster

Parallels 8

How do I do this under v8?

I searched for com.parallels.Parallels Desktop.plist everywhere and cannot find it.

Would love to clear out these dead VM's in my recents list.. Crazy you don't have an easy way to do this...

For me old VMs that were on an external drive no longer exist.. in-fact, the drive does not either, but when I right click on Parallels on the menu bar to quick launch a vm, the old VM's are listed..

Please help.. this list is long and it should only have 2!

9. alex_a

alex_a Bit poster

tgilles, there is *your_home*/Library/Preferences/com.parallels.desktop.console.LSSharedFileList.plist - maybe it is what you need (section RecentDocuments/CustomListItems). Edit it and restart computer (note: ~/Library is hidden).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  10. BryanSS

BryanSS Bit poster

Ok, I have looked EVERYWHERE for this file. I unhid all files via terminal, and I still couldn't find this file. Can someone please tell me where it is. I too would like to clear this history.

Thanks!

11. alex_a

alex_a Bit poster

It is my ways: Cmd+Shift+G (Go to folder), then type ~/Library then go to Preferences...
    these files is not hidden, only 'Library' folder.
    Other way - type (or paste) in console: rm -rfd ~/library/preferences/com.parallels.desktop.console.LSSharedFileList.plist
    or (as I usually do) rm -rfd ~/library/preferences/com.parallels*
    Last command maybe resets some virtual machines settings, but also clears dead (and not dead) lists ))

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  12. YanaYana

YanaYana

People should be careful with rm rf function - if you are not sure what you are foing - better manually open the folder and modify the file. rm rf can remove something you want to remove, and something you wanted to keep as well

13. RolandH

RolandH Bit poster

Hello,
    Could I do a "Purge" command to get the unused memory free ?
    Is there another "clean" solutions at the moment?
    ( Thank you for Parallels Solutions )
    Rolher ( Lyon, France )