Ubuntu 10.04/10.10 file copy issue

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by MurraySilber, Oct 28, 2010.

1. MurraySilber

MurraySilber Bit poster

Hi

Here's an interesting one:

I have been running Ubuntu 9.04 on Parallels 5 with no issues. I have installed a trial version of Parallels 6 and have installed both Ubuntu 10.04 & 10.10 desktop versions. When I create files (both binary & text) in the VM and then want to copy them back to the Mac using the Parallels Shared folders, the files are being corrupted. This does not happen with earlier versions of Ubuntu at all. Text files are empty and the binaries are corrupt. I have not been able to find anything on the forums to date. The interesting thing is that Xubuntu 101.0 works perfectly. I can copy back to the Mac using parallels shared folders without an issue.

Any help would be most appreciated.

2. iSAWaUFO

iSAWaUFO Junior Member

Also a problem with Ubuntu 12.04

I find a similar problem, using Ubuntu 12.04.
    Some files I copy to my Mac from Ubuntu, via the Parallels Shared Folders desktop shortcut, get corrupted.
    The MD5 checksums changes after copying to the Mac.
    Some files are converted into gibberish, though small text files can copy okay.

3. iSAWaUFO

iSAWaUFO Junior Member

I've noticed the problem (Ubuntu 12.04) is not consistent. I tried copying the same file again today and it did not corrupt.

4. OlegV

OlegV Member

Found a solution?

Guys, have you found any solution for the corrupted files yet? I have this problem since PD7 / Ubuntu 10.04. Now I'm on PD8 / Ubuntu 12.04.1 and the problem is still there. Been though a 1hr phone session with parallels support over this and over then try reinstalling Parallels Tools, try reinstalling Nautilus, try reinstalling this, try reinstalling that etc haven't received any real help.

Last time I even went though complete tidying up: clean ML install, clean PD8 install, clean Ubuntu 12.04.01 guest install. Still the problem is there.

I noticed if I just cp in terminal or use any other file manager the files get copied correctly. Only Nautilus has this issue. When copying it will create files of correct size but then fill them with zeros (checked with hex edit), the content doesn't get copied.

Have you got to the bottom?

5. housty

housty Bit poster

Same problem

Been having the same problem for years it's really anonying and strange that this development team would let a simple problem like this run for so long, this needs fixed.!

6. iSAWaUFO

iSAWaUFO Junior Member

I gave up and am using rsync

I'm glad to know I don't have to rush out and buy PD8.
    I've been using the Linux 'rsync' command-line utility to copy files from the guest Ubuntu to the Host MacOS system.
    It's not particularly easy but includes checksum verification so I can have a higher degree of assurance the files copied correctly.

7. iSAWaUFO

iSAWaUFO Junior Member

Grsync might be an alternative

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/grsync-simple-gui-rsync-easily-linux/

P.S. - Maybe not, since it doesn't seem to support remote host, though possibly you use grsync to copy the files to the Parallels share folder using the "Always checkum" option, and then it would at least notify you if the file didn't copy correctly. (I have not tried it).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  8. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

Might be a DropBox interaction

I've been having the problem as well. Files copied from VM Ubuntu to the Mac results in corrupted files. I think it has something to do with DropBox as this only seems to happen to me when the target directory is under DropBox.

9. iSAWaUFO

iSAWaUFO Junior Member

I was not copying to a Dropbox folder. It seems to be an intermittent bug with the "Parallels Tools" for Ubuntu, corrupting the file copy between guest and host.
    One way to check for a successful copy is to run the MD5 checksum on the file, before and after copying.
    In the terminal window on Ubuntu and Mac OS, you can run the command with a file name as a parameter.
    md5 myfile.ext
    This should crunch some number and print out a checksum based on the file contents.
    Run the same command after copying to the Mac OS host and the result is supposed to be exactly the same.
    If not, then the file was corrupted in the copy process.