Being able to boot Linux AND Windows physical installs with Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Milamber_Cubed, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Milamber_Cubed

Milamber_Cubed Junior Member

SOLVED: Being able to boot Linux AND Windows physical installs with Parallels

Hi All,

Having gone through a pretty steep (to say the least) learning curve in what to do and what not to do when partitioning and playing with GPT and MBR, I now have a triple booting system using rEFIt and I even have my Windows install booting in Parallels (using Boot Camp;disk0s4 method).

The problem I have now is getting my Linux installation to play nicely with the setup. If I produce a virtual machine using disk0s3 as the only disk, I get a message about there being no operating system on the virtual machine. And I even figured out why.

In MBR partition schemes, you can only have one active partition. In this case the active partition is the 4th one for Windows. If I try changing this to the 3rd partition for my Linux install, then I do get a grub error screen - which I am pretty sure I could get going eventually - but in this set up my Windows install wont boot.

Although Parallels does a good job of hiding other partitions from the guest OS, it is not quite enough to get me to the point where I can have both physical installs running in Parallels at the same time.

Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be worked around?

Cheers,

Milamber

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  2. Milamber_Cubed

Looks like my post is getting buried under the pile of 3.0 posts.... *bump*

Any ideas anyone?

3. Milamber_Cubed

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007