fusefs in parallels 3; Making use of macfuse?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Jan Wittrodt, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

I had a look at the mounted volume presentig the windows files in osx when using version 3 of parallels and saw it beeing a "fusefs" file format.

Does this mean you're making use of macfuse? Is this interfering with an already installed macfuse system? Would it cause trouble to update a existing macfuse installation - say to version 0.4 as of this week?

What about Macfusion. Are you supporting Macfusion so I that can mount a windows drive or even better a windows folder via the Macfusion menu item?

BTW:
    Version 3 feels good. Snappier. Faster boot. Smart select? --> smart!

2. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

fusefs?
    Anyone @ parallels?
    Anyone?

Edit:
    I just read this thread:
    http://forum.parallels.com/thread12674.html

What I gather from this is:
    Parallels is running it's own macfuse instance. This installation is interfering with an already existing installation of macfuse.
    Furthermore the present build of parallels is making use of version 3 of macfuse and an user triggered installation of version 4 of macfuse is breaking the functionality of the macfuse/parallels instance.

What I wish for future releases:
    - Check for existing macfuse installation
    - Make use of this "already done by user" installation
    - build a plugIn for macfusion so anyone can easily mount the windows drive from the menubar whenever one needs to.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  3. Stefdar

Stefdar Junior Member

Yes they are, and if you look 4 lines down the threads you can see mine, no need for a second one

4. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

Sorry, I started this thread a few days ago. Just got no answer. Also I wrote the last edit while you wrote your last post - and didn't see it in time.

5. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi,

I'm sorry for giving you troubles. Parallels Desktop use MacFUSE to mount Windows drives to the Mac Desktop. There is the problem with upgrading to the 0.4 version of MacFUSE. We will fix it in the next 3.x update.

Alex

6. Stefdar

Stefdar Junior Member

Well then it's my fault, since your's is the first one I am the blind one.
    To answer your question partly, I already used Macfuse 0.4, and Parallels mounting qas not working, I had to uninstall both MacFuse and NTFS-3G for Parallels to work.
    Afterwards I tried upgrading just the Fuse to 0.4, but with no luck, Parallels lost all functionality again. So it seems we are stuck with 0.3, and from what I have tried the answer is no, no Fusion menu item suppport, maybe it is a custom Fuse they are using, since you can find it in /Library and not in /System/Library.

Sorry,
    Stef

7. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

to alexg @ parallels

I presume making use of a "done by user" installation won't be to difficult?
    If so please build a plugIn for macfusion.

I'm using macfusion quite a lot to mount ftp, ssh, encFs. Mounting parallels windows drives the same way would just be great.

Do you think you can/will do that?

8. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

MacFUSE and "bootcamp" in 2.5

Actually, I just un-installed NTFS-3G (with Fuse v3) because it was causing problems with access to NTFS partitions under Parallels 2.5.

When Parallels started up the VM it would correctly dismount the partitions from OSX - but when it closed down, it would try to re-mount them and hang. Removing NTFS-3G fixed this.

(I'm using a second MBR-formatted drive for "boot camp", with separate system and data partitions - I run Parallels from a separate, disk-image windows installation, but its sometimes useful to mount the boot camp data drive).

Is this fixed in parallels 3?