USB in beta5

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Traj

Traj Member

So far my Garmin hasn't been seen. I won't be able to do any further testing for a couple of days. I'll let you know on Wed evening if I have any success.

2. Martin

Martin Member

I had the same problem. Start Parallels (not the VM Virtual Machine), click Edit, Add..., and add ;-)
    I prefer "Autoconnect Off" do decide by right-click in the lower right corner within VM which USB device Windows should see
    Good luck Martin

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  3. skelley

skelley Bit poster

An update on getting a Blackberry to sync -

I installed the Blackberry Desktop Manager (v3.6) in the vm and turned on USB autoconnect.

The Blackberry Desktop Manager does see and try to sync with the device, but never finishes, staying in the "working" state indefinitely.

Anyone else had luck with this ?

4. Martin

Martin Member

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  5. skelley

skelley Bit poster

I am a Mac noob and was told "Entourage stinks". So I have been using Outlook on either my old PC or in the Parallel's vm. I will always need PC access in my Company to deal with SAP, Sharepoint, etc., but I would like to see it become a virtual PC.

6. mikechadwick

mikechadwick Member

i think this is a big weakness - usb support seems to be erratic - i've got a 1gb dongle which now appears as drive E BUT a) it says that it has to run as USB 1.1 because there are no USB 2.0 ports available and b) beta 6 can't see the files on the drive.
    the other issue for me is getting activesync 4.1 running - beta 6 sees the (windows 5.0) pda and adds it to the list of drives but when you run activesync you get nothing - the pda isn't recognised at all.

once these issues are resolved i think i'll be ready to switch from boot camp (in fairness boot camp doesn't work with activesync either and just produces a bsod when you connect a pda :(

7. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Huh? Boot Camp works for me with my WM5 devices. I can sync them with ActiveSync 4.1 as well as developing and deploying apps in VS2005.

I agree that lack of proper USB support is Parallel's biggest shortcoming at the moment. It's certainly the only thing keeping me from using it to replace Boot Camp.

8. ChrisF

ChrisF Bit poster

My Garmin 60c is sporadically detected by Windows 2000 in Parallels b6, and the driver loads but I've never been able to get Mapsource to connect. From what I remember, this is identical behavior to Virtual PC v. 7. My understanding is that the later Garmin units (with X in the model name as well as the color Etrex units) have a different chipset and I've heard sporadic reports of them working with VPC as well as one report I saw on this forum.

9. mikem

mikem Bit poster

I am testing this for use with iPods -

Ipod Nano
    30 Gb Photo

Imac 512 mb ram
    windows XP /SP2 version

Load the windows, let it boot completely, log into a user account.

iPod is recognized as a USB 2.0 device - but the USB bus is recognized as 1.1 so i get a warning stating this device will work faster ... ( system errors read a problem with the cable - I read it as a translation of USB 2.0 hard ware from Intel mac to the XP install )

Once it finally gets recognized and installed, the iPod mounts in the windows ( the first time it happened I blue screened - I had to restart, open compmgmt.msc, go to disk manager and change the drive letter )
    the main issues i have found is the speed -- most Apps i run are fine, but if i use any software that interfaces with the USB connection, I either completely freeze, or just hang and then I have physically remove the connection to do anything else.

I would like to See the Software translate the USB 2.0 correctly to the Parallels install.
    I think that would resolve a lot of the issues i have run into .

Note the 30 gb photo blue screens the install every time.
    Some of the freezing or slow response my be resolved by adding another 512 mb of ram -- that remains to be seen .

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  10. Martin

Martin Member

just curious. please tell me why you want to connect an iPod to a Windows Installation on a Mac.
    ???

11. mikem

mikem Bit poster

saves me having to have two computers on one desk - its a test environment -- used for troubleshooting issues.

12. Martin

Martin Member

ok. thought you were a simple iPod user like the rest of us ;-)

13. mikem

mikem Bit poster

This would explain why a 30 gb iPod video, or a 60 gb iPod photo do not quite work correctly-

the Virtual windows install recognizes a large drive, but it is not accessible through explorer. ( get the wonderful insert disk error )

One other thing i noticed, but have been unable to find is Using Audio CD's

If I open Itunes, and insert an Audio Disk, I can neither listen nor import it.

14. jbbevan

jbbevan Bit poster

Cannot get a USB flash device to work with either Beta 5 or Beta 6. It is configured on the opening Parallels screed for USB Auto-detect. I insert the device after VM is running. No luck. Is there a secret? JBB

15. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

I have the same problem - haven't been able to get my SanDisk Cruzer flash drive to work - Windows XP Pro recognizes somethings been plugged in but gives me the USB 2 would be faster message and then nothing ever shows up in Windows - however, if I mount the Cruzer in Mac and share it as a shared folder, then I can access it, but this is doing something different than the way it's intended to be done.

It also recognized my Lexmark USB printer and let me install the software and set up the printer, but when I try to print to it, it balks and says it can't communicate with the printer (also get the should use USB 2 message on that device)…

16. stephend

stephend Bit poster

Harmony 880 Remote Works

Just wanted to report that my Harmony 880 remote works, which is great since the Mac software isn't Intel-Mac compatible yet.

It's a bit slow, and shows up in the USB menu as "Composite 046d:c110", but otherwise it works fine. I have it set to manually connect, so I needed to remember to reconnect it every time it rebooted. Automatic connect reconnects it OK when it needs to reconnect.

17. Chris Moss

Chris Moss Junior Member

A Belkin USB flash drive works for me. This is already useful, in that it was Mac formatted and my son couldn't stick homework from his powerbook onto it and have his school read it on their PCs. I have formatted it in XP on the Parallels VM and now it mounts both on Macs and Windows PCs.

Chris

18. snit

snit Member

Reiterating that USB fails w/ my CardScan. I posted more details on another thread, but suspect it'll get pushed down in the noise.

19. martinmcfly

martinmcfly Bit poster

Howdy folks,
    I'm using beta6. I'm trying to use the usb Earthmate. It shows up as a device in the VM menu. But I always get this "USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually."
    I have nothing else connected to the usb port. I'm confused#?
    Martin

20. giobbi

giobbi Bit poster

Same problem with smartcard-reader..

Getting the same message as above when i try to get my smartcard-reader to work. I did got it to almost work once, Windows did autoinstall the driver nesessary but it did stall there, after that i get the "wait 5-10 sec..." everytime i connect the reader..

thx.