The one thing I wanted: UT2004's UnrealED

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by gtjuggler, Jun 8, 2007.

1. gtjuggler

gtjuggler Member

ALL I WANT is to be able to use Unreal 2004's "UnrealED" level editing program.

UT2k4 works fine in parallels v3, but unrealed, which is built off the same stuff, uses the same engine and libraries, and is basically the same, just doesn't work!

The app opens and all the viewports are hall of mirrors effect (blank viewports displaying the last thing displayed on screen).

I am devastated, as I could just play UT2004 on my mac since its a mac game but i need to be able to make maps, and they dont make unrealed for mac.

I paid my money for the license even though im a teenager and really needed that money, and thought id be able to get some mapmaking done, but instead i got false hope.

2. Dezro

Dezro Bit poster

UnrealEd is insanely buggy. You might fix the viewports by going to View -> Viewports -> Configure... and fudging with the options. Also, editing UnrealEd.ini might help.

3. gtjuggler

gtjuggler Member

Well i changed around the viewport configuration under view, and it doesnt seem to do anything for me , as far as fixing the issue.

I'm lookin at the INI and I dont see much I can 'mess' with ... ? Suggestions anyone?

4. gtjuggler

gtjuggler Member

Wondering what i can do here... Submit this to parallels? or not even bother?

5. temporal squid

temporal squid Bit poster

Yeah, I'm in a similar boat. I'd rather hoped to get UnrealED 3 running in Parallels to save me a Bootcamp reboot. Sadly, editing the configuration file to force the various renderers (software, OpenGL, Direct3D) doesn't yield anything- it just plain doesn't update the 3D contexts.

Curiously, Unreal Tournament 2004 runs like a dream on my Mac Pro, in both OpenGL (forcing it via the config file as it doesn't appear in the engine selection list) and in Direct3D. Yes, if I change the settings mid-game, it gets wonky and/or crashes, but it seems pretty solid (and zippy!) if I leave the settings alone.

So it's not like the Unreal Engine doesn't like living in Parallels. Sorry, I don't have any suggestions to help you get the editor working-- but at least you know you aren't the only person in that situation.

6. gtjuggler

gtjuggler Member

Yay im not alone.

Aww, I am still very sad.

7. dippyskoodlez

dippyskoodlez Bit poster

Give them more than a day or two.. its the weekend afterall. Its not like this software is **FINAL**. Its "release" final. There WILL be updates and fixes.

I'm sure it'll work at some point in the very near future. Posting something like this here is just what the dev's need to know what to fix! :)

8. gtjuggler

gtjuggler Member

I posted to beyondUnreal forums... maybe someone there can help.

9. Doobla

Doobla Member

Can somebody please tell me how to get this game working? I was in the beta program and have never gotten this game to work. I force OpenGL in the config file but when I try to run the program it says the following:
    The only thing I can think of is that I have it installed on a mapped network drive that is mapped to a Parallels Shared Folder. Any ideas?

10. gtjuggler

gtjuggler Member

Get a real FAT or NTFS partition to install it on. Its between 4 and 5 gigs alltogether.

See if it works then. I would say your issue here is running it from a shared folder.

11. Doobla

Doobla Member

Well, that was indeed the problem. I wish these shared folders were more like a real network share. I have had all kinds of programs have problems with these files stored on the shared folders, such as not recognizing a path that you type, or explorer not autocompleting the path and now having a program just up and crash altogether.

12. Doobla

Doobla Member

The other thing is that it actually runs better in Direct3D than in OpenGL, which OpenGL is what is officially supported. Neither mode draws everything correctly but OpenGL seems to lag pretty bad. I find this amazing given that OS X has native OpenGL support and no Direct3D support

13. gtjuggler

gtjuggler Member

Well thats cool that theres the option of OPENGL, DIRECT3D, and SOFTWARE in UT2004, but UnrealED only will function in DIRECT3D and SOFTWARE, and gives a warning about opengl not being available in the editor...

Sad.