Windows 98 SE in PD 7 ???

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by FabianH, Feb 15, 2012.

1. FabianH

FabianH Bit poster

Hi !

I'm a relatively new PD - User. Now I've installed a Win XP Home in my PD 7 and it's working fine!
    Anyway I want to try to install a Win 98 SE, because my Mac doesn't have so much RAM and cores, so I want a lightweigt Windows. I don't need internet etc., only for a few old games, Word etc.

So I have read that it's a bit complicated to install Win 98 in PD, is it? - although it's supported by PD?

My question is: Is it possible to install Win 98 SE in PD 7 including Parallels Tools (I only need graphics drivers and mouse, sound isn't important!), so that it's possible to get a high resolution???

best regards

Fabian

2. FabianH

FabianH Bit poster

Can't anybody help me???

3. YanaYana

YanaYana

We don't provide parallels tools for Win 98 - and i suggest to use XP even with few resources. It is stable and easy manageable software with still doesn't require a lot of resources.

4. FabianH

FabianH Bit poster

Thanks for your answer.
    Is it possible to use older parallels tools (for ex. version 4 or 5) in PD 7 which support Win 98??

Best regards

5. YanaYana

YanaYana

In general it is not possible to use older o newer tools in one PD build (e.g. you cannot run machine with tools from 4, 5 or 7 version in PD 6)
    About Windows 98 - there have never been a fully functional Parallels Tools package for is version of Windows - just a few separate drivers - you can still find them in the fdd (floppy image) file in /Library/Parallels/ folder but it is not complete kit. (http://kb.parallels.com/en/4715 for more info)

6. FabianH

FabianH Bit poster

OK, and which drivers does this floppy-package include???
    I only need a graphic drive and mouse/keyboard driver.

7. lotw

lotw Product Expert

There might be some software users need that only work on Win95/98 right.

They have no installer for Parallels tools, in fact the best I could get Win98SE working is Network, but couldn't attach to any Mac share, but Internet worked fine. Video works, but sometimes cause black screen of death. Meaning when you shutdown screen goes black and stays that way forever. You have to force stop and then when you do it says shutdown wrong and runs disc check. Sometimes losing data.

8. YanaYana

YanaYana

9. lotw

lotw Product Expert

1. Create a new virtual machine, edit settings before running to remove LPT port (or no network access).

2. Install Windows 98SE as normal.

3. Download the unofficial Service Pack (current version is 2.1a) http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...ice-Pack.shtml

4. Download the USB patch that was mentioned. http://www.technical-assistance.co.u...ge-drivers.php

5. Create a Windows ISO CD-ROM of those two files using any Disc burning software for your Mac or Windows.

6. Boot Virtual Machine, copy both those files and your Parallels tools to HD and re-mount your Win98 or insert CD. (the reason for this is the parallels tools drivers will require the Win98 install disc too)

7. Install the Unofficial Service Pack, follow instructions. (Will reboot)

8. Install USB fix

9. To fix the black screen of death at shutdown, create a MS-DOS batch file that echos text to the screen in a full screen DOS and exits automatically.

10. Make sure you do step 9 1st or will lock up from now on when shutting down. Right click on My Computer, properties. Select device manager, display adaptors and update driver, select other locations and tell it where you put the Parallels tools, drivers, video.

You now should have everything that is important working, except for sound. Video, USB, and Internet work perfect. I have tried several different sound drivers and they either did nothing or locked up the virtual machine

10. davert

davert Member

Can you provide some details on step 9 (or copy the file in)? That's the problem I'm having.