prl_cc.exe locking files

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bill.Volz, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Bill.Volz

Bill.Volz Bit poster

I have seen this before posted with no answers. prl_cc.exe is often locking files. I am seeing this most often when running a setup program that deletes a directory then tries to recreate it later on.

I am running window 7 in Build 8.0.18101
    (Revision 797180; September 5, 2012)

Here is a screen shot showing a tool called Unlocker that is showing this process is the cause.

[​IMG]

Ending the prl_cc.exe process and trying again allows it to work. I would like to know if there is a way to prevent this and if now will killing that process regularly hurt anything.

Thanks.

2. Bill.Volz

Bill.Volz Bit poster

Looks like prl_cc has something to do with the clipboard because once I end the process the file becomes unlocked but the clipboard integration stops working.

3. mmm201

mmm201 Member

Bump.
    I have this problem and it persists even after I reboot the guest. (The same file remains locked.)

Update: It looks like it's locking all sorts of folders it has no business doing. All sorts of folders containing .exe files are being locked. Could be related to coherence or file associations.

4. Bill.Volz

Bill.Volz Bit poster

For a temporary work around I would recommend using a tool called unlocker (URL below) in the guest. Just hit the unlock button on the file and it will become available. I wouldn't end the process because like I said in the last post it will stop the clip board integration from working.

http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

5. Entiat

Entiat Bit poster

Bump. Me too. This is getting really annoying. I simply kill prl_cc.exe when this happens, but does that do something bad to the system?

6. Entiat

Entiat Bit poster

Ah - ok, prl_cc.exe handles copying and pasting between Mac and Windows VM. Well, it also spawns a billion threads and opens files, so whatever else the heck it is, it is a poorly engineered multi-use charlie foxtrot...probably created by interns or over-zealous program managers or something.

Anyways, looks like simply killing the proc and restarting it works well enough:

pskill prl_cc.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Parallels Tools\prl_cc.exe

Copy and paste (and a billion threads, sigh) come back like before, but the files that were previously locked are now unlocked (and new files get locked...but hopefully they aren't the ones you need right now).

7. tawman

tawman Bit poster

Disable Windows App Sharing w/ Mac to Unlock

I found a workable solution that does not involve killing processes or using other programs to unlock file handles. I had the issue today when prl_cc.exe had a VS2010 console application folder locked.

Open the VM Options and disable the [x] Share Windows applications with Mac option. It will inform you that the Dock folder will be removed and Crystal Mode is not possible w/o sharing.

Open Windows Explorer and move/rename/delete the folder that was previously locked. After completing the file operation, you can reenable the Share Windows applications with Mac option and the Dock menu will reappear. However, you will need to Coherence settings and reenable the [x] Use Crystal Mode option.

Attached Files:

8. Entiat

Entiat Bit poster

Still quicker and easier just to kill/restart the process.

Just had prl_cc.exe lock some files from an app I was attempting to uninstall (and thus the uninstall failed leaving a franken-install in its place). This implies in addition to a billion threads and buggy file locking behavior, this horrific excuse for a professional application has a file change notification hook installed. Why? What's next? I wouldn't be surprised to find it actually installs a keyboard hook and subtly changes every 1000th keystroke.

WTF is this craptacular, virus-like exe supposed to be doing?

If I didn't use copy-and-paste between Mac and Win, I'd leave it permanently killed.

9. tawman

tawman Bit poster

It is not easier to kill the control center process as it leads to unintended consequences in other areas of the Parallels Mac integration. It caused some issues with file sharing and crystal mode operations when I did that last year. I had to reboot the VM to fix.

Bad advice to kill processes and expect the software to recover.

10. redski

redski Bit poster

I had this problem and tawman's solution worked. I agree you should not go killing processes when you don't have to.

11. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

This kind of issue can be caused by antiviruses blocking Parallels Tools processes. Try to uninstall antivirus and reinstall Parallels Tools. Most probably the issue will go away.

12. MacAttak

MacAttak Bit poster

tawman's solution worked for me also. The app sharing is definitely the source of the locks - as soon as that box is unticked, I can see all of those crazy file locks released.

But it kind of sucks because I want to use app sharing. It's going to be a huge pain if I have to run without that. But since 90% of my workday is spent compiling code under Windows, I cannot afford to be wasting time due to compiler chokes on locked files.

13. _navro_

_navro_ Bit poster

I hope you're not suggesting the use of Windows in Parallels without antivirus. That would be reckless, unlike OS X with no antivirus.

Are you trying to say, uninstall antivirus, reinstall Parallels Tools, and then reinstall antivirus?

14. alteramaxplus

alteramaxplus Bit poster

Agreed. If that was actually a Parallels rep I think they'd better revisit their training practices....

Anyways, I can't believe this is still an issue so many years later without any fix, or a the very least an acknowledgement from Parallels! (other than the aforementioned "it's your virus scanner's fault" post above, which is a ridiculous excuse at best...) Both "solutions" discussed here worked for me, but these phantom locks are getting past the point of minor annoyance into real lost productivity territory. If this weren't a company laptop I'd probably have switched to VMWare by now!

DD

15. Bill.Volz

Bill.Volz Bit poster

I can confirm this has nothing to do with virus scanning tools. I was able to reproduce it without having any antivirus installed.

This is a really enjoying bug that I wish would get some escalation.

16. costabas

costabas Member

I have the same problem (i.e. prl_cc.exe keeps handles on folders that it shouldn't), and luckily I found this thread. I ended up disabling the Share Windows apps with Mac checkbox (don't need it). I will see if the issue occurs again.

For the Parallels folks, can you please escalate and get this fixed?! It is extremely annoying.