Beta 6 - Kernel panics - Anyone?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MarkHolbrook, May 1, 2006.

?

Any kernel panics with Beta6 and if so any damage?

1. No kernel panics and I'm using the heck out of it

40.0%
  2. No kernel panics but I'm not really using it much

48.0%
  3. Some kernel panics but no Mac OS damage

12.0%
  4. Some kernel panics AND Mac OS damage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I'm curious with Beta 6 how many of you are having kernel panics and if they are destructive to your Mac OS.

I'm trying to gauge if this is stable enough for me to start using for work I can't lose. Please select the appropriate choice in the poll. Thanks!

2. netdog

netdog Hunter

I just had one. No damage that I am yet aware of.

3. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

I can't claim that the problem I reported the other day was a kernel panic because I didn't SEE any kernel panic messages. But I did encounter (just once, haven't been able to reproduce it) a situation where I went into PW full screen mode, got a completely BLACK screen with only the mouse cursor visible (and movable, which is why it didn't seem like a kernel panic) but I couldn't get back to OS X so the machine was essentially hung.

Therefore, asking specifically about kernel panics as a metric doesn't give the right answer.
    D

4. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Yes probably another poll selection for that kind of crash would have been nice but I haven't seen to many of those so I didn't think of it.

M

5. netdog

netdog Hunter

Make that two kernel panics for me today. I didn't have even one in Beta 4.

6. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Netdog,

I'm curious what your setup is and what you are running? Can you give me a run down?

So far I've had one KP and it was during Beta4. I was just in WinXP. I typically run just WinXP with Delphi compiler.

7. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

Do you send it to reports@parallels.com ?

8. netdog

netdog Hunter

iMac 20" 2GB RAM
    Fully updated OS
    Parallels "Hot Patch" Beta 6
    XP Home SP2 Guest - Default RAM and DISK

Running on OS X:
    Entourage
    Word 2004
    Weather Dock (Weather Channel)
    Firefox Universal New Release
    Skype (Running but not using)
    MSN Messenger
    Parallels

Running on XP Guest:
    Internet Explorer ( currnet - 6? Not the new beta)
    MSN Zone Backgammon and MSN Backgammon Lobby
    MSN Zone Messenger

All of these ran great under Beta 3 and 4 without ANY incedent.
    KPs again in 5. Stopped running Parallels until Beta 6

After the 2nd KP under Beta 6, spotlight information was wiped out, Disk Utility would not run to completion when booted from system. With OS Disk boot, disk verified ok, permissions incorrect on a printer driver that I have never used and on something like UserLib/LibEXE or LIBsomething *or*other

Am I the only one having KPs now? Eek!

9. netdog

netdog Hunter

I asked a while ago if you guys could repost what it is we need to send. I don't know what to include. I know you posted it a long time ago, but I cant find the information.

10. Ollie

Ollie Junior Member

11. netdog

netdog Hunter

Thanks Ollie. And to Andrew, all information sent as requested.

12. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for the report.

13. boardwalk2

boardwalk2 Bit poster

windows 2000 system freeze

I did not have a crash, but while using Windows 2000 Pro SP4 inside a VM window the entire system froze except for the black cursor that could move across the entire screen (inside and outside VM window). But clicking inside the VM window or outside to another open OS X application (Finder, browser) resulted in no switch to that application. Clicking inside the Win2000 window also did not show a cursor for Win2000. Command-Tab did not show running application. Nothing could be clicked on Apple menu. Command-Shift-Escape did not show the Force Quit menu. Basically had to do a power down of the machine using the physical switch (iMac 20"). Couldn't able to reproduce the problem.