Can I install Windows 8 from a USB thumb drive?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by WheatW, Oct 26, 2012.

1. WheatW

WheatW Junior Member

I just purchased the $39.99 download of the official final release version of Windows 8 Pro, which I downloaded to an existing Windows 7 virtual machine.

The Windows 8 installer asked me if I wanted to install in-place, save an .iso or burn a disk, or prepare a USB thumb drive for installation.

I chose the USB thumb drive option, and Windows 8 Installer formatted and installed the thumb drive.

Now I can't get Parallels Desktop 8.0.18101's new virtual machine installer wizard to recognize the thumb drive. It seems that Parallels 8 will only do an install from a DVD or an .ISO image.

What can I do to get Windows 8 installed under Parallels 8?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. juzci

juzci Guest

Hi,
    thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it.
    Please download the fresh build of PD using Parallels Desktop menu-Check for Updates and retry.

Regards,
    Hanna

3. MarkRW

MarkRW Bit poster

No USB Booting

Hi

I would like to ask when and if Parallels will let us boot from a USB?

4. juzci

juzci Guest

It works in PD8 update 1 actually (build 18305). There is an issue there, see http://kb.parallels.com/en/10136, but generally it should work.

Regards,
    Hanna

5. MarkRW

MarkRW Bit poster

Thank you Hannah, but now I have an additional problem. I upgraded to Windows 8 from XP. In configuration Hardware XP I can get into windows fine, on XP-0.hdd, only then I have no internet. When I change to Windows 8-0.hdd, I cannot log into windows at all. Not on my Windows Live ID nor through Local. It repeatedly comes up with "the user name or password is incorrect please try again"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6. juzci

juzci Guest

Mark,
    thank you for feedback, we do appreciate it!
    To investigate the issue we need some technical information, so could you please reproduce it, send us Problem Report as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and give me an ID?

Thanks in advance,
    Hanna

7. MarkRW

MarkRW Bit poster

Report sent hope I did it right? ID is: 19220379

8. juzci

juzci Guest

Yup, got it, we're investigating the issue.

9. juzci

juzci Guest

Hmm, looks like we know, what's this. Could you please check the following: start your win8 and try to log in using on-screen keyboard (you can get one using Accessibility menu: the Ease of Access button is in the lower-left corner of your screen).

10. MarkRW

MarkRW Bit poster

Will try that today and report back. Sorry for late reply too, I never got email to your last response.

Kind Regards

Mark

11. MarkRW

MarkRW Bit poster

No, same results, still cant get in :(

12. juzci

juzci Guest

Mark,
    ok, thank you, will recheck your report.

13. Mark, regarding "no internet problem", could you pls add/remove network card in the configuration. This will change the device emulation type from paravirtualized driver to e1000. This, I hope, should help you.

14. MarkRW

MarkRW Bit poster

Hi

Thank you for your response, but Im not quite sure where you mean? Do you mean in the configuration where it says Network 1, because I cannot remove anything in there. Or in windows itself via control panel? Sorry for sounding dumb but I am still learning my way around parallels.

Kind Regards

Mark

15. RigobertoC

RigobertoC Bit poster

USB Drive Install of Windows 8

I did purchase as well the upgrade for Windows 8 and placed it on a USB drive. I am running Parallels 7 Built 7.0.15107
    Just wondering what the steps to take in order to install it as another OS (Apart from Windows XP which I'm currently running)

16. This is technically possible in PD8 only on EFI enabled systems though we do this officially for Win8 64bit only. The support of other OSes is in progress and not released yet. Though EFI mode could be enabled. If you are really interested in this, pls contact me through forum in private, I will specify how to do that.

17. RigobertoC

RigobertoC Bit poster

Havent received a reply on how to enable EFI on PD7

18. I have already spoken that this is technically possible in PD8 only. Thus there is no way to enable EFI in PD7. Sorry.

19. CyrilleB

CyrilleB Bit poster

can't install w8 from USB too...

Hello,

i tried to install w8 from an USB bootable key but i can not... I tried to activate EFI mode but nothin better for me...
    Hope you can tell me how to do,

thank you

20. KonstantinO

KonstantinO Parallels Developers

Hello.

You can install from USB only 64-bit editions of Windows 8 and only in PD8.

Please send Problem Report (http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058) to us and post it's number here.