Bootcamp partition invisible

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Ksafbond, May 1, 2006.

1. Ksafbond

Ksafbond Junior Member

Hello,

I can't find my bootcamp partition when I'm running XP VM.
    How to find it ?

Thanks a lot

2. MacTopia

MacTopia Member

The VM won't be able to see it, or any volume, unless you either use the PW Shared Folders option and add the volume \Volumes\NO NAME\ to your shared folders list, or you can enable Windows Sharing and create share points for the volume \Volumes\NO NAME.

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  3. Ksafbond

Ksafbond Junior Member

I use Share Folder option but I don't see the folders in Windows explorator (On the VM)

Why ? I must share these folder in the bootcamp partition too ?

Thanks

4. MacTopia

MacTopia Member

It sounds like you are trying to use the Windows XP (Guest OS) Share Folder to share a folder that the guest OS hasn't been told how to see yet...if I understand your last post...if that is correct, you can't see anything on the host until you enable a function of the guest OS to see it...either networking (Windows Sharing in Mac OS X) or PW's Shared Folders...which is done outside of the Windows VM.

5. Ksafbond

Ksafbond Junior Member

That mean that I must configure a network for my guest OS (XP) ?

6. MacTopia

MacTopia Member

Not at all...I think you are just confusing the Windows "share folders" operation with that of accessing a shared folder on the Host Mac OS.

For you to see the Bootcamp partition (the volume is \volumes\no name) simply use the PW Shared Folders to create a shared folder to that volume.

When you are inside your guest OS, then you will be able to access the \\Pfs\host\share that you created.

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  7. Ksafbond

Ksafbond Junior Member

For you to see the Bootcamp partition (the volume is \volumes\no name) simply use the PW Shared Folders to create a shared folder to that volume.

I do that now !

When you are inside your guest OS, then you will be able to access the \\Pfs\host\share that you created.[/QUOTE]

I don't see anything in the guest OS. I see all the share folder from other pc, but Idon't see my bootcamp partition! :(

8. MacTopia

MacTopia Member

First, I may not be of much more help here because I'm having problems getting my \\Pfs shared folders to stay operational in this Beta (6).

The shared folders from Parallels is kinda 'hidden' in the Network Neighborhood. When you installed Beta 6 Tools, Parallels should have created a shortcut for you on your desktop called "Parallels Shared Folders" ... that is where you need to look after you've created a shared folder entry in the Vm configuration.

Second, since the Beta's use of shared folders seems to be giving me and others problems, I still like my other suggestion...it is working fine for me...that is to use Mac OS's Windows Sharing and enable networking on your guest VM.

9. Ksafbond

Ksafbond Junior Member

Yes, now I see my bootcamp partition ! Thanks !
    But Windows explorer shut down when I explore it !

10. MacTopia

MacTopia Member

That is one of the problems I am having with shared folders...others too...its a bug in the current beta.

From one of your earlier posts it sounded like you didn't want to enable networking, but I have good performance with it, and the shares show up in my network neighborhood automatically--I don't have to go looking for it, etc. ;-)

I'm confident that Parallels will fix the shared folders before going gold...they've done excellent work thus far!