can i use directx 8.1 in WinXP sp2?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by matemago, Jun 9, 2007.

1. matemago

matemago Bit poster

i'm trying to use parallels in my mac just to be able to watch tv using a Pinnacle USB2 PCTV adapter, which says it can work with directx 8.1 drivers, but my XP installation has version 9.0c..

the application runs, but it doesnt shows any channel, and by using its assistant, says directx drivers are not working.

if i run directx diagnostics, i can see the spinning cube, but fails in directdraw and it also says that ddraw.dll is an old version...

can i reinstall directx 8.1 or should i reinstall directx 9.0c ?

thanks guys

2. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Have you enabled DirectX in the VM video configuration screen?

3. matemago

matemago Bit poster

thanks for the reply, yes i did enable directx in the vm configuration, but the directdraw fails in directx diagnostic tools

what do you suggest me to do?

4. AlanH

AlanH Pro

DirectDraw fails in the diags here as well, with three files shown as old. I tried reinstalling DirectX from the Microsoft site, but there was no change :shrug:. My guess is that we'll have to wait for Parallels to improve the product.

5. superpat

superpat Bit poster

same problem with my existing VM (XPProSP2). i've used this vm since my first installation of Parallels : build 1970, then 3188.

yesterday i converted this VM to //3.0 : the installation of parallels tools crashed, XP's asking me drivers for the video card and several applications're poping-up the following message :

incorrect image, ... DDRAW.DLL is not a valid windows image...

no more parallels tools, no more coherence nor mouse, nor drag and drop !!!

6. matemago

matemago Bit poster

all i got is a black screen, even that the application says directx is fine, it doesnt show any image...

i guess the problem is with directdraw instead of directx... its some king of weird... i guess...

7. macmansc

macmansc Junior Member

Same problem

I have the same problem, but if I delete those 3 "old" files (which are dated 6-7-2007) then direct draw works and not direct 3d.

8. matemago

matemago Bit poster

is there a way we can reinstall directx drivers , maybe v8.1 to see if it works?